Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sprdy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Craftsman LT100 riding mower, cant get power to the starter
    Good battery, new ignition switch and new starter solenoid. I have 12 volts on ignition switch side of solenoid, but when the key is turned to start position, it clicks and I never get power to the starter. When the key is turned to the first position to power the lights, they come on and I still have a little less than 12 volts at the starter solenoid (switch side). At the next position on the ignition switch, I lose the 12 volts at the solenoid and at the final start position, I get a click at the solenoid and no power to the other side of the solenoid to fire the starter. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2011, 10:42 AM

Was this confirmed with a voltmeter... or just an assumption because the starter didn't work... the distinction is important... these starters can and do fail suddenly.
    sprdy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
    This was confirmed with a voltmeter. Thanks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2011, 11:44 AM

Try this... simple way to prove the solenoid is either good or bad.

Take the red side of a set of jumper cables... clip one side on the POS battery post... touch the other end to the control of the solenoid. Basically where the switch is wired to. Does it work? If yes there is a problem in the stwitch assembly/wiring... or nothing happens = Bad solenoid.

And yes... new parts are sometimes bad.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2011, 12:30 PM

Was the replacement solenoid the same as the old one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a mower deck belt for a Craftsman xls 1000 riding lawn mower. [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find a belt for my Craftsman xls 1000 riding lawnmower deck.

Craftsman 17 hp riding mower replaced the solenoid & still no power to engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 17.5 horse riding mower, it was working and I parked it for about a week and now it won't start, the battery if fine.. I replaced the solenoid because there was no power going to the starter. Same preblem with the new one, if I jump the solenoid it will turn over.

Craftsman LT100 mower trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Was tuned up in May of this year and ran OK for a while. Starts and runs for a half tank of gas then stops. Happened several times. Was told it could be bad gas. Got a good brand of gas additive with same results. Was told it could be a bad gas cap so replaced it with same results as before. ...

Craftsman riding mower - Where to buy starter? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman riding lawn mower, model #917.270930. At the end of last cutting season, the engine would turn over, but not crank. Starter made a grinding sound. The teeth on the starter appear to have shredded. (Looks like they're made of plastic.) The sears parts website doesn't appear...

Craftsman Riding mower, no compression, leaks oil near starter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I think my Craftsman riding mower (16.5HP electric start) has a blown head gasket or worse. The engine can be turned with no resistance (I don't have a compression tester but I can tell there's no compression). I notice that oil is leaking when the engine is turning over, right behind the...

View more questions Search