Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diya_khan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Scar treatment
    Hi..
    I had hot wax done on my face for the removal of un-necessary hair. And as a reaction to this.. I had pimples and spots on my face.. n they have left scars.. which are not going.. it has been an year now..
    Could you please help me getting rid of the scars.. I never had pimples or anything on my face before..
    snowball12 Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Feb 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
    One way to take care of a pimple is to soak it in hot water... keep it clean and don't pick it. Try not to touch it. Every night and every morning, soak it with hot water using a washcloth. That's just my idea :) good luck
    snowball12 Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Comment on snowball12's post
    For the scar's try http://www.mederma.com/ available at Walmart.
    Dr C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 05:25 PM
    There are very few scar treatments that are backed by science.

The following applies to all scars (not just those from pimples), skin types and all ages.

Let me first start by mentioning what to AVOID. Vitamin E should be avoided as a scar treatment as it causes contact dermatitis (skin allergy) in 33% of users and it does nothing for scar healing. Multiple studies have also shown that Mederma (onion extract) does not improve scars either.

Scientific studies have shown that the following DO improve scar healing and the appearance of scars:

1) Vitamin C
    2) Silicone

Both vitamin C and silicone aid healthy collagen production by the skin which is essential for optimal scar healing. Silicone scar products also decrease the production of abnormal collagen that can cause thick, raised scars (which can lead to hypertrophic and keloid scars). Vitamin C also lightens the dark pigment often seen with scarring.

When choosing a vitamin C scar treatment ensure that it contains a "stable" form C. Most forms of vitamin C used in skin care products are unstable and quickly turn brown after the container is opened. This is a sign that the vitamin C has become oxidized and therefore no longer works.

Products that are brown to begin with should probably be avoided as many manufacturers color the cream brown so that users cannot tell when the cream becomes oxidized. I would recommend using scar treatments that specifically address this vit C stability issue (the ones that do usually mention it on the packaging and are not brown).

Your scar treatment of choice should be used as soon as initial scar healing has occurred and you can comfortably apply the scar treatment/ scar cream without much discomfort. Continue using the scar therapy until you no longer see any improvement in the appearance of the scar. This can take 6 - 24 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best scar treatment? [ 14 Answers ]

Well I recently got in a car accident about 4 weeks ago, and I got cut pretty bad on my face, and has a big scar... anyone know of a real good scar treatment that has worked for theM?? I have tried mederma and have seen no results.

Acne scar treatment and skin lightening [ 3 Answers ]

I am desperate for any answers or anyone that can help me. I'm a 29 year old dark skinned black woman who has suffered from acne since I was a teenager, which has left scarring on my face, back and chest. All I want is something that will help diminish the scars. I feel extremely depressed because...

Scar Treatment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a scar on my nose due to glass cut and its very visible. I used dermatix cream but was not effective. Please advice me that is there any cream that can help me to reduce the scar visibility or I will have to go for laser treatment. Best Regards

African american scar treatment [ 1 Answers ]

Im 22 years old and I grew up as a tom boy so I always was very rough on body. As a result I have tons of "scars". Most people only consider scars to be raised and keloid. Mine are just dark marks that never faded. I have tons of them on my legs and knees that make me very uncomfortable. I don't...

View more questions Search