Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2011, 03:24 AM
    End of life of surge protective devices
    According to NEC/IEEE/ANSI/UL etc should there be an indicator on the SPD to indicate that its service life is over? Otherwise how can a consumer make sure that it is in order?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 28, 2011, 08:03 AM

You can't if there is no indicator. It's that simple.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Unfortunately, this is not a one stop shop to obtain the standards published by NEC, UL, IEEE, ANSI, etc.

You will need to subscribe to each agency to research each standard and find what your looking for.

NEC will not apply to your question.

You may also need to consider NEMA and NIST.

Jan 28, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    I thought someone in this forum would give an answer clearing any doubts
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 05:20 AM
    Doubt? Odd comment.

I gave you the answer that NEC is not involved. I personally can attest to that.

The other agencys and standards are beyond the scope of this forum.

While what you ask is required certainly makes sense, I do not believe there is a person here that is involved with the design, manufacturing, distribution, or otherwise directly involved with surge protectors, that would have first hand knowledge to answer your question.

I and apparently other do not have the time or interest to research the other standards that you mention, or the ones I suggested, to find your specific answer, nor do we have the funds to purchase those standards.

I answered you as if you're an engineer in some discipline, and you should be the person to take the time and funds to research the question.

If you have a specific unit in mind, something you have and noticed it does not have an indicator light, and you think one would be a good idea, contact that manufacturer directly and discuss the subject with the design and marketing team. You should discover if there is a standard regulating this indicator light, and why one is not installed.

Feb 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    A person involved in manufacturing,marketing or installing SPDs should know the answer. We can't search all available standards/codes for a simple question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surge protection devices [ 0 Answers ]

Can all categories/classes/makes of SPDs be reused once a surge passes through it? Is there any indicator incorporated according to codes/standards? What are the codes regarding SPDs?

Want to die and end my life. [ 12 Answers ]

I am an mba in hr and it.a lecturer right nw. on 5th may 2009 I did love marriage but only after 20 days we started arguments and now every thing is out of my controle.after each 10 days we fight and I come to my parents for 4-5 days abuse each other, and then after a counseling or interfere of...

Need to end my married life [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I got married in Nov 2006. From the period they saw me and they fixed my marriage I did not like my husband. I even told my parents that I did not like him. But they liked him very much. So they got me married to him. He is 8 years elder to me. He is not matching to my expectations. Before my...

View more questions Search