Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kennedy811 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
    Can I sue for damages due to garnishment of ss benefits?
    While my social security benefits were frozen by my bank, several of my checks bounced, including mortgage payments. I have been charged more than $800 in overdraft fees. How can I recover these loses?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy811 View Post
    While my social security benefits were frozen by my bank, several of my checks bounced, including mortgage payments. I have been charged more than $800 in overdraft fees. How can I recover these loses?
    A writ of garnishment, pursuant to a judgment against you, was served on your bank?

As I understand what you are saying, you have somehow managed to avoid the garnishment by showing that these funds are exempt social security benefits. However you incurred overdraft fees during the time when this was being straightened out. You might want to point out to your bank that the funds were there; they were just frozen, and therefore the overdraft fees should be waived.
    Kennedy811 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 12:12 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Thanks! Am I entitled to damages up to $1000 including attorney fees? Must I go to small claims court?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2011, 04:52 AM

First, please use the Answer options at the bottom of the page for follow-up questions or info, not the Comments.

Your bank has NO responsibility here. Assuming they were served with a valid writ of execution and they had not been made aware of the possibility of such a writ and that the funds in the account were all from exempt sources, then you have no recourse.

You knew a judgment had been awarded. Therefore, you should have taken precautions to protect your assets. As long as the writ of execution was issued by a court, the bank had no choice but to freeze your funds.

You can try suing them, but you will probably lose.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy811 View Post
    Thanks! Am I entitled to damages up to $1000 including attorney fees? Must I go to small claims court?
    Where do you get this about $1,000 in damages? Is there a specific statute you are looking at?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hit a pot hole, is it possible to sue the city for damages? [ 18 Answers ]

I hit a bad pot hole on my way home from work. I know am looking at a bill of over 700 for the new tire, rim, tire rod and alignment. Can I sue the city for damages?

Can credit card sue you for damages and liability? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a credit card company sue you for damages and liability? And if they can do so, I will like to know if it is with the purpose to inflict criminal charges. Also if I can stop all of this filing a bankruptcy? I know I am not guilty of anything. The system just does not work. I called so many...

Garnishment of SSi benefits [ 4 Answers ]

I got some helpful advise the other day on what to do about a garnishment of SSI benefits... well I contacted the bank and the were very rude and snotty with me about the matter and told them I would be filing papers against them because the can be held liable for sending the funds to the...

View more questions Search