Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rimmel Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 12:07 PM
    Business Question - Adjustments
    This is the question: At the end of the year, the accountant for Guzman Painting Contractors prepares financial statements, but neglects to prepare the adjustments for the Supplies account. The balance in the Supplies account at the end of the year is $3500. An actual count shows that the value of supplies on hand at the end of the year is $700.

the net income for the year as calculated by the accountant is $47000, and the total assets are $145000. However, the figures are incorrect, because Supplies has not been adjusted.

A) by how much is the net income overstated? Why? I got $2800
    B) by how much are the assets overstated? Why? I got $2800

C) what are the correct figures for the net income and the total assets?
    I got net income $44200 and total assets $142,200.

are my answers correct? Thanks!!
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2011, 12:55 PM

Looks good to me. Your Supplies account is overstated by the difference in what your account balance says you have and your actual account balance so you have to do an adjusting entry to get your account balance to agree with your actual account blance.

The amount of your difference between your account balance and your actual blance is the amount of your over statement of your assets as well as your net income because your expenses will be understated by the same amount. An asjusting entry affects one balance sheet account and one income statement account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Finance Question [ 3 Answers ]

You are 40 years old and plan to retire in exactly 20 years. Starting 21 years from now you will need to with draw $5,000 per year from your retirement fund to supplement your social security payment. If you expect to live to age eighty-five how much should you place in the retirement fund each...

Business Law Question [ 2 Answers ]

With regard to the relationship between the judiciary (courts) and the legislatures, which of the following is false? a. The courts have the power to declare a provincial statute to be void and of no effect, if it is beyond the authority of the provincial government to pass such a law. b. A...

Adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

When working on adjustments if I assume the adjustment for supplies used consisted of a credit to Supplies for $3200 and a debit for 3200 to Supplies expense then how would that affect a worksheet and would it be discovered while completing a worksheet?

Business Tax - Tax to Book adjustments [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My C Corp company is completing the 1120 and I am working on the book to tax differences, specifically the unpaid accrual 75 days after year end. My accountant has recorded a few activities to the accrual ledger accounts which I believe should NOT be considered as a tax adjustment. ...

Business Fringe Benefit Question [ 2 Answers ]

Question - I am an s-corp and would like to offer free gym membership to my employees as an employee benefit. How would that be classified on my books and what would the tax implication of that be?? Is that taxable income to my employees? Thank you for your advice.

View more questions Search