Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2011, 11:54 AM
    How do you crack a chemical?
    I was reading this article: A rapeseed vegetable oil, pure and blended with conventional FCC feedstock, has been catalytically cracked with a commercial equilibrium catalyst under realistic FCC conditions.

What does this mean? What is Cracking?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 12:20 PM
    Cracking (chemistry) - Definition
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Jan 27, 2011, 03:11 PM
    In a craking operation long chain hydrocarbons are split into smaller pieces that are more suitable for their desired uses. For example, a 20 carbon alkane can be cracked into two 10 carbon fragments.
    FCC stands for "FLUIDIZED BED CATALYTIC CRACKER" The alternative to catalytic cracking is THERMAL cracking where the fragmentation is caused by heat alone.
    In your article, rapeseed oil (canola oil) with 18 carbon atoms would be fractured to smaller molecules; maybe to make a bio-gasoline(?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical Reactions: Balanced Chemical Equations [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do a structural diagram of reactant molecules 2 no + )2 -> 2no3 Structural digram of product molecules

Chemical formulas and chemical compounds [ 2 Answers ]

In a Stock name such as iron(III) sulfate, the roman numeral tells us?

Help me before I crack [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know this is not a lot to work with but I heard this song on a classic rock station, you know 70's 80's and 90's anyway the song sort of sounds like a gangster movie its got gun shots, squealin tires, and police sirens but no real lyrics, I believe the dj said it was a song from the band...

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search