Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 05:58 AM
    Cleanout and test tee placement
    Can test tees be installed on horizontal pipes? If so, I'm assuming they can't face down, but must they face straight up? - can they face sideways? Same for cleanouts on horizontal pipes - can they face to the side? In my current situation (last run of drain pipe running horizontally a few inches under the basement floor joists) this would be ideal simply for access.

And can a cleanout be placed in a vent pipe? I have a 3" 'inlet El' (I think that's the name!) for toilet drain that is between the floor joists. The vent pipe coming out the top of the fitting runs up a wall that would be accessible. This would be an easy place for me to put a cleanout and be able to snake downstream, but I wasn't sure if cleanouts could be placed in the vent pipes.

THANKS
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 06:38 AM

Hi Lee...

Test tee can be on horizontal pipes but need to face at a minimum 45 degree angle or straight up just as you thought.

Cleanouts branching off a sanitary tee fitting are to be treated as test tees and if on the branch of a WYE fitting then can be horizontal, rolled on a 45 degree angle or even be straight up.

Yes, cleanouts can go in vents as long as they remain accessible.

Finally, 3" inlet El....what is that? Hopefully, not a "side inlet elbow" as these are illegal... ;)

Back to you...

Mark

Jan 27, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Thanks again Mark!

I guess my terminolgy was a little off, this is what I meant

http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-Degr.../dp/B000K7BHJ6

If I understand you correctly regarding test tee/cleanout placement on horiz pipes:
    - test tees can be straight up (0 degrees) or turned to either side no more than 45 deg.
    - cleanouts that are in a wye configuration can be turned to either side no more than 90 deg.

Does that sound about right?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 07:10 AM

Yeah... that's a side inlet elbow, only on the backside... not allowed anywhere but in PA, I think... *UGH*...

I did not draw things up in any way that suggested this fitting was OK? See drawing from other thread we worked on below.

Cleanouts cannot be uspside down... right.
    Attached Images

Jan 27, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Could you describe the type of fitting that should have been used for that 3x3x2 connection? The one I posted in the link above is not necessarily the one I installed, I just found one on the web that looked right. If the difference between that one and the one you intended is subtle it might be that I used a different fitting.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 09:34 AM

Lee...

In the drawing above you can see that the toilet gets picked up off a 3" sanitary tee fitting. The sanitary tee fitting would be reduced on the top of the sanitary tee fitting from 3" to 2" using a bushing or a reducing coupling. You could also use a 3"x2"x3" elbow here (read run first, 3"x2" and then the branch, 3", so a 3"x2"x3" tee)

Check out the drawing below... same as above, but shows the fittings.

Does this work?
    Attached Images

Jan 27, 2011, 11:12 AM
    OK, thanks for the details. I have that part already glued together unfortunately, but it is still accessible so I'll change it over to the coupling method. Any idea why the fitting I posted isn't allowed most places?

Jan 27, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Was my understanding of the original question correct?

Horizontal pipes:
    - test tees can be straight up (0 degrees) or turned to either side no more than 45 deg.
    - cleanouts that are in a wye configuration can be turned to either side no more than 90 deg.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 11:46 AM

Correct in terms of the test tees/cleanouts.

It's been so long since they "outlawed" the fitting that I really can't remember why they are illegal... I'll investigate and post on it sometime soon, OK?

Also, couldn't hurt to give your local plumbing inspector a call and see if he allows them... never know?

Mark

Jan 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
    Yea, maybe I'll see what they say. I am in PA so it might be allowed. However, if there's good reason to have it another way I'd rather change it. Wouldn't be that much work at this point in the game.

As for cleanouts not being upside down, this would be correct for cleanout in a vent pipe right?

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/s...e12/lee101.jpg
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't install a cleanout there. If you ever need to clean the toilet drain you would lift the toilet and snake the 3" drain.

Jan 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
    True, I guess that would work. I've never had to snake anything so I didn't know how difficult it would be. I'm picturing if there was a blockage in the section that cuts across the basement ceiling. Snaking down the toilet would mean going over 6', down 8', then another turn to go up to 14' horizontally again. This is the point where the next cleanout would be. Maybe that's nothing though - if you say so I'll definitely take your word for it!

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 05:28 PM

See, here, you can't install a 2" test tee cleanout in a pipe that increases to 3" as you could potentially send a snake down the 2" cleanout and it could end up grabbing say, a diaper, for example, and trying to pull it back through the 3" and into the 2" pipe reduction could end up getting the snake caught so bad that you might have to cut the floor/walls open to remove it. It happens more than you would think... ;) So, a cleanout in the vent in this case is not a good idea!~

The other cleanouts in your drawing are perfect!. don't forget to add one under the sink, too.

Mark

Jan 27, 2011, 06:07 PM
    Makes perfect sense - thanks. So much of this seems like it should be obvious but it's definitely not! Think I have enough answers here for another weekend of work... Thanks again for being so willing to help us beginners!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 05:49 AM

You are welcome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English Placement test? [ 3 Answers ]

Soon I'm going to start first semester at university. They require all students to take English placement test (writing). The problem is that I've never heard about it and I don't know what kind of test it will be: multi-optional (tests grammar and vocabulary) or essay on a specific topic.

I'm building an RV park so, can a sanitary tee be used in conjunction w/cleanout [ 4 Answers ]

I'm building an RV park and need to know if a sanitary tee can be used in making a clean out which will also be use to connect the customers RV drain line?

Sewer cleanout placement [ 2 Answers ]

First a little setup. This is for a septic system installation and deals only with the sewer line between the house and septic tank. Code and good construction calls for a sewer cleanout within a few feet of the foundation, where the pipe exits the house, so you can snake the line between the house...

View more questions Search