Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Question on install of basement shower, tiled walls, prefab base
    I'm in the process of installing a 36in sq shower in my basement. Please let me know if this process is correct:

1) frame out surround, 2x4s, spaced 36in for base to fit, drain and plumbing run
    2) put shower base (w/ drain installed) down onto concrete (do I need to put some mortar or anything down below this?)
    3) put cement board up to height of where tiling will end, then butt together w/ greenboard for area above tiling, tape seams (is this right, I'm not sure where the cement board should end, will regular self adhesive fiberglass tape work? Also, how high should tiling go?)
    4) install tiling up wall
    5) seal grout
    6) caulk between bottom of tile and shower base

done?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2007, 09:13 AM
    2) put shower base (w/ drain installed) down onto concrete (do I need to put some mortar or anything down below this?)

If the base has no support and "gives" a bit when you put weight on iut then I would bed the base at the time of installation.
    My expertise stops at the plumbing end so I'm kicking this thread over to experts that have more knowledge the I. Regards, Tom
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 17, 2007, 10:05 AM
    3) - You should put a vapor barrier behind the cement board. 6 mil poly sheeting works well. It should overlap the lip of the shower base. The cement board should extend at least as high as the water will likely splash - about six feet. The cement board seams should be taped and then "mudded" with thinset. They make special fiberglass tape for this. It is heavier duty than the tape for drywall. The taping can be done in advance or at the time of installation. If done in advance, be sure to avoid creating a "speed bump." Only use dry mix thinset. Do not use mastic or premix thinset in a wet area.

6) Many people also suggest caulking the corner joint. You can grout, but be sure to keep an eye on it over time, as this is a place grout can fail.

Good luck.
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the info. For the 6mil poly sheet, do I just staple to the studs, then hang the cement board over it? Then just make sure the edge of it hangs over the shower base... should I caulk it down or something?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 18, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Stapled to the studs is fine. Put the cement board up over it. After tiling, you can trim the excess before caulking the base-tile joint. (Or you can trim earlier, doesn't matter.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower enclosure base in basement [ 5 Answers ]

I had a shower enclosure installed in my basement as part of additional work performed after reconstruction of a fire. (Something nobody should have to go through. We are 18 months from the original event & 12 months from moving back in.) As a result of the main basement drain being moved and...

Prefab shower base for basement [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! Totally new at this... help! Tore out old free standing shower unit in basement. It was tied into the concrete drain with a simple 2' pvc pipe. I'm replacing it soon, but newer styles have "fins" or reinforcements on bottom of base which means I need to build a platform. I'm really not...

Removing shower base in basement [ 6 Answers ]

We are replacing a shower in the basement 32 x 48. We finally got the base off by cutting around it to get it out because the center drain connection was so attached we couldn't remove it any other way. I have photos attached. We are chiseling away now to get to the bottom of this brass drain...

Installing a shower base in the basement [ 17 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

View more questions Search