Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chilisgal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
    Credit Card Debt from 8 years ago
    I received a phone call stating I was being sued for a credit card dept from 8 years ago. They said it wasn't a debt collection agency, but a group of investors who had purchased the dept and were prepared to go all the way to collect. They stated if I didn't pay or make payment arrangements, they were going to have me served to appear in court. Can this be done since the SOL in Florida has passed? Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2011, 05:40 PM

Not if the SOL has passed. If you get a summons, then that will be your defense. Tell these people, if they call again, that if they want to contact you, to do so ONLY by letter as provided by the FCRA.
    chilisgal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 06:10 PM

No what or who called you are referred to as junk debt collectors, most likely< they buy wothless debts for a penny or two on the dollar and hope to con someone into paying.

The owner of that debt may of course call you and write you for the rest of you life to collect the debt, but they can not sue after the SOL
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 06:30 PM

Keep in mind, just because the SOL has run out doesn't mean the debt doesn't exist. You actually still owe the money, they just can't get a court order forcing you to pay. They can continue to do everything legal trying to get you to pay includeing wrecking your credit score.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt gone after 7 years? [ 7 Answers ]

Let's say that someone owe's a lot of money to credit card companies and decides to stop making any payments on the debts for 7 years. After 7 years is the debt forgiven, the credit report wiped clean of the debt, some combination of these two, or none of the above?

Is a credit card debt valid after 14 years [ 1 Answers ]

I had Discover Credit Card in 1996 while I was in College, I was making steady payment until I wasn't working my part time job. To make a long story short, it's now 14 years later I received a letter of judgment to Garnish my paycheck from the "Marshal City of New York", when I called they told me...

I'm being sued by ex-girlfriend for using her credit card 2.5 years ago! [ 5 Answers ]

(State of CA) My ex-girlfriend from over 2 years ago is suing me for $7500 of credit card debt on one card - Mastercard I think, in small claims court. She is claiming that I alone used the card to rack up these charges. I NEVER SIGNED A CREDIT CARD AGREEMENT AT ALL, whether it be as co-owner,...

Is credit card debt valid after 10 years [ 4 Answers ]

Is credit card debt vaild after 10 years?

View more questions Search