Ask
    mishamisimo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Spousal support
    Will I loose my spousal support if he files for bankruptcy
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 03:01 PM

No, he still has to find a way of managing his support payments. It is a court ordered payment he can't neglect, not even by filing bankruptcy.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 03:02 PM

No not as a result of it. But it can be grounds for a modification or to end it.

You will be a listed party of the bankruptcy. But your spousal support can not be discharged there.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    No, he still has to find a way of managing his support payments. it is a court ordered payment he can't neglect, not even by filing bankruptcy.
    Not unless the support payments are deemed to be a substitute for some sort of a property settlement.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Not unless the support payments are deemed to be a substitute for some sort of a property settlement.

Hi AK, we don't know that, and is another case of not enough information for a proper answer. It is something we have to put up with here until the OP comes on and gives feedback.

Your input is always very valuable.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 05:46 PM

The person filing bankrutpcy can of course put it down and list it, if they do, you will need to file an objection and appear at the first meeting of creditors to dispute.

There are too many factors, but normal just support can not be discharged

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spousal Support [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do if I feel thst the judge calculated my spousal support wrong

Can I get spousal support ? [ 1 Answers ]

We've been married for almost 2 years but been together over 4 years. I supported him while he was in prison for at least a couple of years. I have receipts and he even signed a couples agreement that if we split within 3 years of his release he'd have to pay me $5000 a year for every year I...

Spousal support [ 1 Answers ]

My husband's ex wife remarried and he is still paying her spousal support, is he supposed to still pay her

Spousal Support [ 10 Answers ]

In my final divorce decree. I am responsible to pay spousal support to my ex-wife for two years. I live in Virginia State. Now, during the two years my ex-wife got married and never informed the courts of the legal change in her maritiall status! My question is whether or not the spousal support...

Spousal Support [ 2 Answers ]

I am in divorce now. No minor children, married for 25 years. Do I still have to pay spusal support and is DissoMaster the correct way for this purpose?

View more questions Search