Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwelad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Boot up Issue
    I recently got my PC back from someone who worked on it. After a shut down it is asking from drive a:/ when trying to boot up. How do I change the directory back to c:/ drive.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2007, 08:42 AM
    If you haven't done so, press del when it is booting up to enter the bios, look through the menus for the boot priority, change the 1st boot priority to Hard Disk Drive.
    I'm willing to bet it is set to floppy drive.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Jan 15, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Cap is correct that the bio`s most likely need to be reset ,but the key to enter bio`s is different depending on make of the Bio`s chip. [I.E. my compac is Esc, my dell is delete]
    During the initial boot of a computer the BIOS supplier will be displayed.
    Here is a site that has most of the chipsets listed
    Bios Central
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Well, resetting the bios is the last thing, you just want to change boot priority.
    keifer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwelad
    I recently got my PC back from someone who worked on it. After a shut down it is asking from drive a:/ when trying to boot up. How do I change the directory back to c:/ drive.
    Enter your computer's bios settings. To get there look somewhere on the first initial boot screen and it will tell to hold down a certain key to enter bios. Once in bios you can use the arrow keys to navigate the menu until you find boot up sequence. Next choose c: to boot up before a:
    jenni smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Yes
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jun 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Common keystrokes for entering BIOS Settings:

F10
    Delete
    Escape

Once in there, you'll find an option (usually within the very first menu screen) for boot devices. 99% of the time, you want your CD/DVD drive to be the first boot device, followed by your hard drive, then your floppy drive (if one exists on your computer).

Just a small note, you won't see drive letters in most cases, you just have to know what's plugged in where. Drive A: is (almost) always reserved for a floppy, as is B:. C: is usually your local hard drive (or at least the one containing your Operating System), so just look for your hard drive in the list.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Oh my.

All my computers have been set to boot to the floppy first, including the one I'm on. It's set that way in case you ever need or want to boot to a floppy. It tries to read the floppy drive first. If there's a disk in there and it's bootable, it will boot to that. If it's not bootable, you get an error, just pop the disk out and hit enter (or whatever it says) to make it go on. If there's no disk in the drive, it by-passes it and moves on to the next thing in the boot sequence list (either your CD or the hard drive).

Computers generally don't come with floppy drives anymore, but one can be added or this might be an older computer. When I have a floppy drive, I want the boot sequence to start with the floppy in case I need to use it.

What is your error message saying? Is there a disk in the drive? If so, take it out. If not, then whoever was working on it did this to it. Take it to them and have them change it back. (Or call them and ask them about it.) After all, didn't they "fix" it? So it's their responsibility to deal with it! I would not mess in the BIOS if you don't know what you're doing, or have someone on the phone talk you through it.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Reading your post again, I see you're writing "a:/" and "c:/" And you want it to go back to "c:/"? That's an odd way for someone to ask that. Going to the C drive generally means booting into Windows and most people would say they want it to go into Windows. Is that what you want? Do you have Windows? Or do you literally mean you want it to go to "C:/"?

What is your computer, how old is it, what does it normally boot to? And what exactly is it saying/showing on the monitor when you try to boot?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Careful, everyone. Someone tricked you into replying to a VERY old dead thread.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Oh dear, JB. I don't usually get caught in these.

Well, don't I feel sheepish. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Xp freezes after boot up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , My questionis when I turn on PC Windows XP Home edition boots up fine , then when it opens to the desk top it looks fine , but when I click on an Icon to start a program it starts to work then it opens part of the program then freezes up and then nothing I click on the desk top works. Any...

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

View more questions Search