Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rimist Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 01:33 AM
    How to install radiant barrier and insulation for cathedral ceiling in W Central FL
    I am on the West coast of Central Florida. I have 2x6 rafters, and have purchased kraft faced r19 batts of insulation, however, after some research I would like to install a radiant barrier as well. My attic gets hot... I've broken thermometers trying to figure out how hot, easily 130. Even this time of year my attic is easily 15 degrees hotter than the outside. I do have both soffits and ridge vents, both of which are not obstructed. I planned on purchasing foam rafter vents to ensure that the air could continue to circulate. Humidity outside the home is typically high, 90% isn't unusual. Any advice or instructions would be appreciated. I cannot afford spray foam insulation, so please don't go down that road.
    Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 26, 2011, 04:28 AM
    You have a bare attic under a pitched roof? (To me a cathedral ceiling is finished living space using the rafters.)
    Have you read the Florida Solar Energy Center info on feasibility (type of roof shingle/tile, air handlers, etc) and also questioned whether to insulate the attic floor instead of the 2 x 6 rafters. I see that many homes in FL have attic exhausts set to come on at a certain temp.
    Humidity is a major concern too, and it seems to me that having as much air in the rafters as possible is important.
    Fi-Foil has training presentations on their site for installing.
    current pert

Jan 26, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Also you wouldn't put RBS over faced insulation.

Jan 26, 2011, 07:51 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Yes, I currently have a bare attic under a pitched roof, which is what I am referring to installing a radiant barrier and insulation on. I also have a cathedral ceiling in part of my house, but I can stand on the top of it and barely touch my roof.

Jan 26, 2011, 07:55 AM
    I agree... I was thinking of putting the rbs in the middle of the 2x6, and attaching the faced insulation with the face "up" to the edge of the rafters. This would provide air on both side of the rbs, but I'm hesitant about the effect of having a

Jan 26, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Vapor barrier 5 1/2" from my decking. Part of the purpose of the additional insulation is to simply drop the temp as much as possible, because I would like to use the attic space for storage, which would reduce another cost for me.
    current pert

Jan 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
    It's easiest to just use Answer, even for your own post.
    What color is your roof? That's a big factor.
    Ridge vents are low profile with just a few thin air slots either side, is that what is too small? How do you know it is barely working? (Maybe this is why so many people have electric vents in the south.)
    I have no clue about the feasibility of putting the RB in between the rafters, over vent channels and under fiberglas. A lot more work, but if your labor is free... Maybe ask the FSEC about moisture problems with that arrangement. Or consider 1" foiled isocyanurate (foam 4 x 8), over the rafters and unfaced fiberglas. It has an R of 6 per inch.
    If your roof is gabled, consider a small attic ceiling with venting above it in each gable?

Jan 28, 2011, 03:22 PM
    The ridge vent is eight to ten feet long, while the soffits are each twenty five feet long. When I pushed up gently on the vent, I could feel air movement, which was almost nonexistent before I pushed on it. This afternoon it was 66 outside, 74 inside and 87 in the attic. The roof color is GAF weathered gray, mandated by my hoa
    current pert

Jan 29, 2011, 12:43 AM
    You have a hipped roof?

Jan 30, 2011, 01:18 AM
    I have a gable roof
    current pert

Jan 30, 2011, 05:15 AM
    So how about a new full length ridge vent (not expensive) and a small ceiling with vents above it, in each gable? And iso or RB over unfaced batts over vent channels?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cathedral ceiling insulation [ 3 Answers ]

G'day: I am winterizing our cottage and wish to preserve the interior appearance of the ceiling. Since our cedar shake roof is in need of replacement we are considering applying the insulation to the exterior prior to installing the new roofing material. I assume I will have to toenail new 2x4's or...

Adding insulation to existing cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a cathedral ceiling with R-19 insulation plus a radiant barrier draped over the rafters. I would like to upgrade this to R-30, but this is a finished house. The only way I can think of adding insulation would be to either tear down all the ceilings, or take off all the shingles...

How do I insulate and vapour barrier cathedral ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Haw to inulate and vapour barrier a cathedral ceiling

Cathedral ceiling insulation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm building a cabin in the woods up here in Alaska. This is my first time building something out of wood besides a tree fort. I'm a welder. Anyway my cabin dimension is 16' wide by 24' long with 10' walls. The roof pitch is 12x12 (heavy snow load). I built the roof with the idea of...

View more questions Search