Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Jan 25, 2011, 08:23 PM
    Asthma and antibacterial soap
    Hi everyone, I have a question on something I heard, does antibacterial soap contain a chemecal that is bad for persons with asthma? My son is 9 years old and has asthma, and we have always uesd antibacterial soap, if it does contain a chemical that isn't good for asthmatic people, what is it and how does it affect the asthma? Can someone please tell me what you know about this. Thanks, ----zeke----
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by truck 41 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a question on something i heard, does antibacterial soap contain a chemecal that is bad for persons with asthma? ----zeke----
    Yes, its called Phthalate and it is described as an 'everything chemical' because it is used to stabilize a lot of products. Although many, many people use antibacterial soap and some may be asthmatics, could be only a few of them are affected by it.

What type of reaction does your son get from using this soap. I hope only on his hands.

Tick
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Jan 26, 2011, 08:46 PM
    Thank you for your reply, he doesn't get any reaction on his skin, but because he gets asthma attaks about two to four times a day, so I was concerned that he might be absorbing this chemical through his skin when he washes his hands, and should I stop buying these types of handsoaps. Thank you so much for your response. ----zeke----
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2011, 09:59 PM

In addition to Ticks advice you might also check the alcohol content. Many of the anti-bacterial hand cleaners contain 60%+ alcohol. Alcoholic lotions should not be used for people with asthma and young children as inhalation of alcohol fumes may precipitate bronchospasm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone ever tried grisi mother of pearl soap or their papaya soap? [ 2 Answers ]

I've purchased a bar of grisi mother of pearl soap(concha de nacar) and it is supposed to aid in fading small brown spots. If anyone has had experience withthese two products,can you give me insight as to how well it actually works?

My Moen soap dispenser doesn't pump soap. Is there a seal inside? [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved into this house, so I don't know if it was taken apart previously.

Can I use Diana Stalder Glutathione soap and the black soap together? [ 12 Answers ]

OK I'm trying to put a new regiment together for even but slightly lighter skin tone. This is what I have. Diana Stalder Glutathione soap Diana Stalder black soap Diana Stalder Kojic acid cream Glycolic cream 15% Moisturizer with SPF30

Antioxidant breaking down free radicals.reduce antibacterial effect? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the antioxidant action of Quercetin work to break down the reactive nitrogen intermediates i.e. free radicals, which normal exhibit antibacterial activity in the gut, thus resulting in reduction in the antimicrobial effect of acidified nitrates on common gut pathogens??

View more questions Search