Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Pex questions
    Hi all. Currently working on a new second floor bathroom as part of an addition to my home. I plan to use pex for this but it will be my first time with the material. Presently, the plan is as follows:

1) Transition from existing 1/2" copper pipes in basement ceiling below new bathroom.
    2) Run a single hot and single cold pex line from the copper pipes up a first floor wall to the second floor bathroom wall.
    3) Connect these pex lines to a mannifold. Branch off from mannifold to shower, double vanity, and toilet.

Pex lines will be 1/2". Mannifold will be accessible through room adjacent to bathroom (removable panel in back of a closet). From Home Depot:

1/2" Zurn pex tubing - http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Sioux Chief fittings - http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Plan to more or less follow this guide - http://www.siouxchief.com/Resource_/...ide%205-05.pdf

Any input is appreciated, I want to make sure to get some advice from people who have done this before. Are the products listed okay? 1/2" all right? Thanks!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 08:14 PM

Everything seems fine except for you should run 3/4 lines to your manifold and use a 3/4 manifold with 1/2 takes offs, then run 1/2 to each hot and cold on each fixture.

Jan 26, 2011, 03:51 AM
    Thanks - that's one of the things I wasn't sure about, I'll make sure to do as you suggest. I take it it's okay to use 3/4 pex off a 1/2 copper?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 05:04 AM

Hi Lee...

MGD77 is "spot on".. use the 3/4" PEX and yeah, purchase 1/2" copper x 3/4" pex adapters to make the transition to PEX. Here, the inside diameter of the 3/4" pex FITTING is actually pretty close to 1/2" which is why it would have been a bad idea to run only 1/2" PEX up to the bathroom as the inside diameter of these fittings is closer to 3/8"... ;)

Be sure to PRESOLDER copper fittings BEFORE using the PEX pipe/crimprings, etc, OK?

Mark

Jan 26, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Hi Mark - told you I'd be back! (you just helped me recently with some drain design - thanks, so far so good with that part of it)

Could you explain what you mean by 'PRESOLDER copper fittings BEFORE using the PEX/pipe/crimpings, etc.' suggestion? Are you referring to a special type of fitting that is pre-soldered, or to something I would do to the fitting before installing it?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 07:09 AM

Hi Lee

Mark is probably out making his fortune, with the cold weather he is very busy.

No, he means do your soldering first and let fitting cool before attaching the PEX. Heat will damage PEX.

Jan 26, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Got it - thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pex-al-pex [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone.:) Just watched an episode of this old house where they used pex-al-pex pipe running from the boiler to the radiators. I have the same heating system where the boiler pipes hang low from the basement ceiling. I want to eliminate those pipes and was wondering can pex-al-pex pipe be used...

1/2'' copper down to PEX - which size PEX is best? [ 1 Answers ]

We're finishing our basement and I want to re-run the kitchen supply line because the 1/2'' copper runs underneath (perpendicular) to the 16'' on center joists and thus lowers the ceiling by a full inch (it will need to be shimmed). I want to install PEX that runs through the center of the joists...

Couple questions about converting copper to PEX [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have city water with good pressure that comes in off the street in a 1/2" copper line. I am going to install a Manabloc Manifold and have a couple questons. 1. Can I use a copper to PEX coupling where my water enters my house (after the stop valve and meter of course)? 2. If so...

Pex [ 2 Answers ]

Is it too good to be true that PEX tubing can withstand freezing temps without breaking? Avg winter temp anywhere from 0F to 32F? Long story short, I work for a church and one of our members is a low income elderly woman. She lost her heater last winter and cannot afford to replace it so she has...

View more questions Search