Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pushpa_bhagat Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 06:26 AM
    darzen reaction? Help for mechanizm??
    what is the mechanism of darzen reaction .
    c6H5_ch=o+cH2_cooH gives c6H5cHocHcoonegative
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 09:17 AM

Are you sure this is the right reaction? Wikipedia says that:

The Darzens reaction (also known as the Darzens condensation or glycidic ester condensation) is the chemical reaction of a ketone or aldehyde with an α-haloester to form an α,β-epoxy ester, also called a "glycidic ester".
    But I don't find any halogen nor ester in the molecules you mentioned, but a carboxylic acid.

Darzens reaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Jan 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
    Your reaction is not readable. "CH2COOH is not a compound -- what else is on Carbon number 2? Your product, "C6H5cHocHcoonegative" is incorrectly capitalized and seems to be missing some of the atoms in the compound. Do yourself a favor by taking the time to present the question in a form that we can understand. Unknown008 is correct - this doesn't have the correct reactants or product for the "Darzens glycidic ester condensation" as you have shown them.
    But I think I can see what your are trying to do. You have omitted the halogen and the ester group from the second reactant, it should be ClCH2COOC2H5 (ethyl chloroacetate). You need a base (sodium ethoxide) to remove H+ from the ester to make the enolate anion. This condenses with benzaldehyde to give the alkoxide ion. This intermediate would be C6H5CHO(-)CHClCOOC2H5. The alkoxide ion displaces the Cl- ion to form the epoxide (the glycidic ester). This is very difficult to show by typing the structures like this. The epoxide does not show up clearly.
    Correct your reactants, use the correct catalyst and redraw your product and you will have the correctly formatted Darzens condensation. It must be in your Organic textbook.

Jan 27, 2011, 04:50 AM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    Thanks i will check in my text book .
    But what is the meaning of condensation here?

Jan 27, 2011, 05:08 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Sorry I have typed wrong .
    The reaction is C6H5CHO+ClCH2COOH gives C6H5CHOCHCOOnegative
    Alfa chloro epoxide
    This reaction is in +nce of OHnegative dilute

Jan 27, 2011, 05:10 AM
    What is the meaning of condensation here?
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 06:09 AM

In the presence of , a molecule of water, is formed. The formation of this molecule is why this reaction is called a condensation reaction.

Also, there is the mechanism on the link I gave you. Did you check it out?

1. The will attack the H bonded to the C which is itself bonded to the Cl and forms a carbanion.
    2. This carbanion acts as a nucleophile and attacks the C doubly bonded to O in the benzaldehyde, making one electron in the double bond to go to the oxygen atom and make it negatively charged.
    3. The negatively charged oxygen then gets bonded to the next carbon atom, while the C-Cl bond breaks through an SN2 mechanism.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Jan 27, 2011, 06:32 AM
    In a CONDENSATION reaction two miolecules join to form a new compound, accompanied by the elimination of another small molecule. If H2O is the byproduct it is easy to see why it's called a condensation. When the ester attacks benzaldehyde as in the reaction you cite the first product may be the alcohol in which you have completed an ADDITION reaction. Then, dehydration gives the more stable unsaturated ester as the final product. This is a Claisen-Schmidt reaction.
    In the Darzens condensation you MUST use the ester, not the carboxylic acid. The carboxylate anion cannot stabalize the enolate anion. Once you have the enolate anion, a Claisen condensation reaction takes place (look that up in your text). You will see that a PAIR of electrons adds to the carbonyl carbon. As Unknown008 told you, the resulting alkoxide anion then displaces Cl- from the adjacent carbon resulting in the formation of the epoxide. As strained as the three membered ring is, it is formed very fast because of the proximity of the nucleolphile and the electrophillic carbon.

Jan 29, 2011, 01:12 AM
    Thanks.it means when H2O will form then condensation must had happen ,is I'm right??

Jan 29, 2011, 01:12 AM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    THANKU
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 05:38 AM

Quote Originally Posted by comment on my post
    thanks.it means when H2O will form then condensation must had happen ,is i m right???????????
    Um... not really. A condensation reaction is one where the reactants react together forming another compound and a little molecule. This molecule can be water, HCl, etc.

Jan 29, 2011, 05:42 AM
    O kkkkkkkkkkk THANKU

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rates of chemical reaction:a clock reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose you were dissolving a metal such as zinc with hydrochloric acid.how would the particle size of the zinc affect the rat eof its dissolution?

Is it a Reaction or Not? PLEASE HELP [ 7 Answers ]

Help determine whether a reaction would occur. If a reaction occurs, write the balanced equation. If no reaction occurs, write no reaction. a) calcium and water b) magnesium and water c) rubidium and lithium chloride d) potassium and aluminum oxide e) silver and calcium nitrate f) fluorine...

Reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for a person to have an adverse reaction to tylenol with codeine? Could it be fatal? And if so is there any other known cases? These questions mainly focus on codeine and is not overdose.

Consider the reaction [ 1 Answers ]

hi every one this my qustiong I hope find the answer Consider the reaction ca(oh)2(s)----->cao(s)+h2o(l) with enthalpy of reaction ΔHrxn =65kj/mol

Reaction Kinetics: Orders of Reaction. [ 2 Answers ]

I don't mean to be anal about this but I've recently stumbled upon this topic over the holidays and I'm thoroughly interested. What I fail to understand is Order's of Reactions with respect to & . Can someone give me a well concise explanation of this with a good example, say the decomposition...

View more questions Search