Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aryaazadi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2004, 06:06 PM
    Iheritance taxes
    I am 54, single, artist, and received approximately $65,000 dollars this year after my father died. I have no income. Will I be taxed on this money. I put it in the bank and it makes almost no interest. Should I take it out and hide it?
    lambrkl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
    Re: iheritance taxes
    I am 54, single, artist, and received approximately $65,000 dollars this year after my father died. I have no income. Will I be taxed on this money. I put it in the bank and it makes almost no interest. Should I take it out and hide it?
    Ahuactl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2004, 08:43 PM
    This is a little late to do the OP any good, but this tax board is dead and another filing season is almost upon us.

Inherited property, including money, is not subject to federal income tax. Income generated by that property is taxable. So the $65,000 the OP inherited is not taxable, but the little bit of interest it earned is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NJ taxes SDI & SUI [ 7 Answers ]

The company in PA my husband works for was purchased by a company in NJ. They are going to continue to have the satellite office in PA and we are residents of PA. We just received the first paycheck from this new company and I noticed that extra taxes had been taken out. A NJSDI and a NJSUI plus...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

F1-opt-h1b... taxes. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I need little help regarding tax filing. Here are my details: Came to USA on F1 in aug 2002; Graduated in Dec 2004 and my Opt start from DEC 25TH 2004; My H1 Started in Dec 5th 2005. I filed 1040NREZ and 8843 for 2004 period. For year 2005, for 11 months, am on OPT and for 1...

H1-b & F-1 taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am currently working on an H1-b since Oct 1st, 2005, from July 2004 until the end of July 2005 I worked on a F-1 woth my OPT. Last year I claim a deduction for my soc security and medicare taxes. I'm not sure if I can still claim that same deduction for this year and which form do I need...

J2 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have seen a lot of questions on this forum concerning taxes for J1. Here is my case: I arrived in January 2005 with my husband. He has a J1 and I am J2 dependent. I got my EAD in April 2005 and found a job a few days after. I started to pay all taxes : social security, medicare,...

View more questions Search