Ask
    gan788 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Fire alarm
    What will happen if EOL is short?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 07:55 PM

I install fire alarms fairly frequently and have no clue what you are asking. What do you mean by EOl and then maybe I can help. Do you mean end of line resistor?
    brent999 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
    If this relates to an EOL resistor on a security system and the line is shorted, in a correctly installed configuration, the security system should generate a trouble notice. The security system will expect that the line is to have a specific resistance, but when shorted that resistance would be about zero. Validate resistance is the value of the EOL resistor or infinite (open circuit - usually indicating an alarm for NC / normally closed configurations), not zero. For this reason EOL resistors are always to be installed at the "end of the line" (where the open/close switch is located), not in the security box where many people (including installers) often put them. The idea is that if someone tampers with your system, or you accidentally put a nail through a security wire when hanging a picture, that your alarm system will tell you that your infrastructure is compromised and on what zone.

ranjithkorani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I install fire alarms fairly frequently and have no clue what you are asking. What do you mean by EOl and then maybe I can help. Do you mean end of line resistor?
    That is mean by line end monitoring, means some where cable open can detect in the panel.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2012, 04:31 AM
    If a Fire system, It may be a powered EOL. Meaning, System will show a trouble, if the loop is shorted, open, or power is lost to the detectors.
    They also have Double End Of Line Resistors for security.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bldg. Fire alarm smoke detector zone keeps giving an alarm even when board is rese [ 1 Answers ]

Want to troubleshoot my fire alarm system having trouble with my 5th floor smokes they keep giving an alarm when there is'nt one could it be my end of line resistor? What could it be? Need a starting point.

Why does the fire alarm keep going off [ 5 Answers ]

The fire alarm keeps going off and there is no fire

Fire alarm [ 7 Answers ]

What is the principle difference between class A and class B fire alarm wiring

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

View more questions Search