Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RTAYLOR068 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Do you have to be baptist to take communion?
    Before you can take communion do you have to be baptist first.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 01:58 PM

Most protestants don't do the communion thing... but Catholics do weekly.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 03:34 PM

Are you asking specifically about taking communion in a Baptist Church? It depends. Some Baptist churches require that you be a member of that particular congregation. Others are more open - either simply requiring that you be "christian" (which to a Baptist means something very specific), and still others are open to anyone who wants to come forward. I suggest you ask what the particular custom is at the church you are attending.
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Most protestants don't do the communion thing......but Catholics do weekly.
    Not true - many protestant denominations include the Eucharist either every week, or close to it. Episcopalians, Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Methodists come to mind.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 03:48 PM

I think you are asking if you must be baptized before you can take communion. Is that correct? Yes, you do.

Usually baptism comes first, even for adults, to show they are serious about becoming a Christian and want to be dedicated to the Lord. In Catholic and Protestant churches, Baptism is first, then First Communion and/or Confirmation (or in reverse order). Confirmation is the renewal of Baptismal vows. Being able to take Communion shows that you are a member of God's family and honor the sacrifice Jesus made for you.
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Not true - many protestant denominatoins include the Eucharist either every week, or close to it. Episcopalians, Lutherans and Presbyterians, and Methodists come to mind.
    Um... I disagree with you there... I grew up as a Methodist, and attended weekly... and I only ever saw it once a year... ever and never at certain churches, like the one I attended... in fact I never saw a communion outside of a Methodist religious retreat during the winter I attended annually growing... and never outside of there. And I have also attended Baptist churches as well as a couple others over the years... never saw a weekly communion there either... ever.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
    Not true - many protestant denominatoins include the Eucharist either every week, or close to it. Episcopalians, Lutherans and Presbyterians, and Methodists come to mind.
    Lutheran churches that have more than one Sunday service offer communion in one service one week, and in the other service the next week. Some congregations have a mid-week service for those who missed church on Sunday or who will be out of town on the coming Sunday. Very small congregations with only one service might offer Communion only once a month.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 03:54 PM

Yes, if you do a head count, more Protestants do communion every week ( or at least every other) than don't, only a handful don't do it on a regular basis.

Episcopalians, Anglicans, most Lutherans, Presbyterians, and some Methodists have it every week. Other Lutherans, Methodists have it twice a month.

Most Baptist have it a couple times a year but there are 100 's of types of Baptists and 1000's of independent ones
    The best way is to ask prior to the service if they don't say at the service.

Some Lutherans have a "closed" communion, others don't, most Anglican and Episcopalians have open communion, all methodists have open that I know of.

All of the Baptist churches I have been to ( limited number) have all had open communion . But there is always an exception I am sure.

*** In open I mean that you have to be a professed baptised Christian,

So if you count the number of members in Anglican, Episcopalians, Lutheran, Presbyterians and other churches, my guess is more Protestants do it every week ( or at least every other) than don't
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Um.....I disagree with you there.....I grew up as a Methodist, and attended weekly....and I only ever saw it once a year......
    Yes - I guess I should have said "United Methodist." There are Methodists and then there are Methodists.

Fr_Chuck - nice summary. I tried to give you a greenie but the system says I've been too generous to you!
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
    Yes - I guess I should have said "United Methodist." There are Methodists and then there are Methodists.

Fr_Chuck - nice summary. I tried to give you a greenie but the system says I've been too generous to you!
    Incidentally... I was a United Methodist. And yes... there is a major rift within the methodist church. Most of which occurred after the period I commented on... as I haven't attended regularly in recent years but did in my youth.
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Jan 25, 2011, 09:51 AM
    One very disturbing fact that all the other answerers are not aware of is that The Church Age ended in 1988. At that time God's spirit permanently left ALL the churches because of two reasons. It was God's plan that The Great Tribulation should begin. And the churches had become so apostate that ALL of them were not following the truth of the Bible, particularly in regard to salvation. There were, however, still SOME members who actually are true children of God. Now God commands all believers to come out of the churches because Satan is installed there, ruling officially. The scaraments that are performed there have no spiritual value of any kind. So the question of baptism and communion is totally moot. Except that those two CEREMONIES have some value as teaching tools to help us understand what God was doing during The Church Age.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 09:59 AM

Exactly what (self edited original comment) and where did you pull that one from HeadStrongBoy? And what cult believes that? The protestant Church (any of the branches I know anyway) doesn't teach that nor does the Catholic Church.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 10:11 AM

I found it. Harold Camping, of the-end-of-the-world-is-May 21, 2011 fame, "teaches that all churches have become apostate and thus must be abandoned. In the place of church he encourages personal Bible study and listening to his Family Radio broadcasts."

Harold Camping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HSB must be a Camping follower.
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Jan 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Quoting smoothy:
    Exactly what (self edited original comment) and where did you pull that one from HeadStrongBoy?

Bravo, did you actually READ what I wrote ? Careful, don't let it contaminate your thinking.

Wondergirls is correct, this time. I do follow Mr. Camping. Pretty obvious if one does just a little research. I never did try to hide it. I just did not make a BIG POINT of it. Ha ha.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    Wondergirls is correct, this time. I do follow Mr. Camping. Pretty obvious if one does just a little research. I never did try to hide it. I just did not make a BIG POINT of it. Ha ha.
    If I remember correctly, in one of these threads, you had agreed with his reckoning about May 21, 2011. After that, my conclusion was easy. Plus, it helps to be a librarian with an excellent memory.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If I remember correctly, in one of these threads, you had agreed with his reckoning about May 21, 2011. After that, my conclusion was easy. Plus, it helps to be a librarian with an excellent memory.
    But you can bet we won't be getting any apologies from HSB on May 22...

Got to go with WG here, HSB. After all, we librarians have to stick together ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 11:12 AM
    It'll be interesting to visit this board on May 22nd... if it's still here. (har-har)
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Quoting smoothy:
    Exactly what (self edited original comment) and where did you pull that one from HeadStrongBoy?

Bravo, did you actually READ what I wrote ? Careful, don't let it contaminate your thinking.

I read what you said... and while I make no claims about being the most religious person here... (and I even have Jehovahs witnesses as relatives so I know its not from there) that is clearly not a doctrine preached at any church or group I have been exposed to. And I have spent as much time in Catholic chruches as I have protestant wones the last 20 years (wifes catholic). Not once have I heard a Preacher, reverand or Priest say any of what you said in that post...

Never heard it elsewhere either... thats why I wanted to know exactly where that came from... not that I believe it at all (I don't)... just curious of the source.

Incidentally... I'm direct, sometimes ssarcastic... sometimes blunt... its just my style. No personal offense intended. I'm a slow and poor typist... its easier for me to be direct. I'm far more verbose in person than online.

I haven't read any of the follow-up links or posts yet... having one of those days at the office you never wish to repeat. Should by tonight however.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
    One very disturbing fact that all the other answerers are not aware of is that The Church Age ended in 1988. At that time God's spirit permanently left ALL the churches because of two reasons. It was God's plan that The Great Tribulation should begin. And the churches had become so apostate that ALL of them were not following the truth of the Bible, particularly in regard to salvation. There were, however, still SOME members who actually are true children of God. Now God commands all believers to come out of the churches because Satan is installed there, ruling officially. The scaraments that are performed there have no spiritual value of any kind. So the question of baptism and communion is totally moot. Except that those two CEREMONIES have some value as teaching tools to help us understand what God was doing during The Church Age.
    The church age ended in 1988?? Ha ha ha... well this has been one heck of a long 7 year tribulation. Too funny.

To the OP-

According to my Bible you do NOT have to be baptist ( there were no baptist back in the first century church.) AND.. you do not have to be baptized in order to take communion I think it is a good idea though because the Lord asked us to. But I see NO verse that says you must be.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    the church age ended in 1988??? ha ha ha...well this has been one heck of a long 7 year tribulation. too funny.

To the OP-

according to my Bible you do NOT have to be baptist ( there were no baptist back in the first century church.) AND..you do not have to be baptized in order to take communion I think it is a good idea though because the Lord asked us to. But I see NO verse that says you must be.
    Agreed. That said, many churches have traditions or standards of their own regarding things like communion, so it's a good idea to find out what they are for the church you're going to and respect them accordingly. For example, when I was doing music ministry in a Catholic church several years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of receiving communion because it's something extremely important to them, and they believe that only a full-fellowship Catholic can take it. Out of respect for that tradition, even though I don't agree with it, I abstained.

As with so many other areas of life, it's all about balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is appropriate to wear to a march 20, 2010 6:30 pm wedding baptist church [ 1 Answers ]

What is appropriate to wear to a March 20, 2010 6:30 pm wedding at a Baptist Church; the groom is my nephew

When am I cleansed enough to take communion? [ 25 Answers ]

I am a Christian and don't know which Church I should go to. I want to take communion but don't know if I am cleansed enough for the Lord.

Id like my communion [ 9 Answers ]

I’m 20 and was christened a catholic as a baby. Due to personal reasons I never took my communion when I was a child. Id like to take it. Does anyone know if I would need to attend church before I can take it?

How To Worship (Baptist) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a baptist and would like to know how to worship God. We don't go to church and I feel God keeps telling me to go. I keep telling my parents but all they say is, oh OK, and forget. Anyway I'd like to know how to worship God alone?? Is there more than one way? Does it have to have music?...

Can I take communion? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a Catholic and married a non-catholic. We were not marry in the catholic church. We decide that we will keep our own religion but the children will be raise as catholic. I have not take communion for 14 years since I'm with my husband. Can I take communion when I attend mass on Sunday? What...

View more questions Search