Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jan 24, 2011, 06:45 AM
    Ceiling Fan/Light fixture comes on sporadically?
    A friend of mine has a remote-controlled ceiling fan/light that turns on sometimes when the switch is off.

Is the switch bad?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 07:15 AM

They don't by chance live in an apartment or Condo... or a Townhouse that might have a neighbot with a similar unit and are close enough to have it turned on by accident that way... single family homes would be too far apart most cases.

Just eliminating possible alternate sources here.

Jan 24, 2011, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    They don't by chance live in an appartment or Condo...or a Townhouse that might have a neighbot with a simular unit and are close enough to have it turned on by accident that way....single family homes would be too far appart most cases.

Just eliminating possible alternate sources here.
    No, not an apartment or condo... however, the homes on either side of her are fairly close. So if a neighbor has the same remote control frequency, he could be turning on his own unit and my friend's if it is within range?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    No, not an apartment or condo...however, the homes on either side of her are fairly close. So if a neighbor has the same remote control frequency, he could be turning on his own unit and my friend's if it is within range?
    That's the thought I was having... odds are it was installed using the default settings... as well as any neighbors units. They can change their settings and see if the problem continues.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 08:48 AM

Which switch, the wall switch or just the remote? If the remote is off and the fan turns on by itself then I would change a dip switch setting in both the remote and the receiver in the canopy.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 24, 2011, 09:28 AM
    Do they have a cat? A cat might play with the remote like it's a toy and in the process turn the fan on. I had a cheap remote for a TV that the channel up button would stick down and the channels would run through non-stop until I released the rubber button. The remote button is what's called a momentary switch which when pressed momentarily makes a connection that tells the fan to run. After its released the connection is broken at the remote but the fan continues on its own. If the connector inside the remote is broken it might be causing the false start. Do a Sherlock Holmes on it, remove the batteries for a month. If the problem goes away then it's the remote.

Jan 24, 2011, 09:31 AM

Cat would have to press two buttons every time it played with the remote, in this situation, this is unlikely

Jan 24, 2011, 10:38 AM

OK, this gives me a place to start... thanks guys... when I have an answer to the problem I'll come back to give feedback.

Jan 24, 2011, 10:51 AM

Jake, post 5, which switch?

Jan 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Jake, post 5, which switch?
    Not sure... I'll have to ask her.

Jan 24, 2011, 11:01 AM

Ok but it makes a big difference inmy answer and my fix so let us know what she meant by saying switch.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 25, 2011, 06:20 PM
    The remote has a battery you can remove to help deduce if it's the wall or remote as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Converting a ceiling fan to light fixture only [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to install a light fixture in place of a ceiling fan. There are 4 wires in the electrical box - 2 black, one white and a bare/ground. One black wire is copper and the other silver. The silver was capped off initially. I have tried connecting two different light fixtures...

Replaced ceiling fan light fixture, now fan won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ceiling fan. It was in the house when I bought it so I have no info on it. There are no tags or model #s on it. It is controlled by 2 separate wall mounted switches. One light dimmer and one fan speed controller. I wanted to update the light fixture on it so I removed it. Wiring...

Ceiling fan light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to replace the ceiling fan light fixture in this house... how do I get the plastic connectors off the wiring to put on new connectors - the connectors in the light kit I bought do not fit the wiring in the ceiling fan, so I need to replace the connectors, right? I'm soooooooo clueless!

View more questions Search