Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Jan 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
    Commitment Issues
    So I recently got out a relationship with a guy that I have been best friends with for a year, we have had a really good friendship, and both liked each other, so decided to give it a shot. Everything was going fine. We were really doing good with each other, we never fought with each other, just had tiny arguments, we were just doing so good. Until I mentioned my prom, which is still a ways away. I guess it freaked him out, and he said he couldn't do it anymore.
    He said the idea of a relationship was scaring him, and he didn't know how to handle it, said he felt trapped in, he said he was happy being with me, but happy being my friend too,
    Now the hard part is we have to try to be friends again. Its very difficult because I care about him a lot, and I am crazy about this guy. And I'm so used to being able to kiss him, and have him hold me, that its so hard to go back to being friends.
    So how do I deal with this!
    Is there any way i can help him through it, or do i wait it out and still be there for him and still be his friend, I just don't know what to do with this, I have never been in this situation. I want to be his friend, But I know I want to be with him too. He has told me he misses our relationship, but doesn't want a girlfriend, what do I do? How do I be his friend when I desperatly want to be with him!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 01:36 PM

It's up to him to decide whether he wants to come back to you. You can't force him to come back, but you can accept his decision and respect his wishes.

If you can't handle a simple friendship with him, then maybe it's better to block him out for a while, at least until you're feelings for him have gone away before you try to rekindle your friendship. Otherwise, you're just going to drag out the pain and suffering.
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Jan 24, 2011, 08:59 PM
    Oh I know that I don't want to force him to do anything at all, I'm just curious what works when I'm trying to put his mind at ease.
    Regardless of anything, I still want him there as my friend
    MrsLB Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Then there is your answer. Being just friends with someone you have feelings for is never easy. Maybe you could start a new kind of friendship where you are still friends, sure, but you also have plenty of time apart and with other people more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend wants a commitment... [ 10 Answers ]

Wow. I'm just turning 25, she's just turning 24, we have been together for 2 years and until recently we have never had any issues that rocked the boat. Sure we bicker and wind each other up, but I've never doubted the way I feel about her or the way she feels about me. I love her. This week she...

What is a commitment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Some days my boyfriend and I were talking about if we should live together but for me it is important to get married because I have a little baby and also because it is one of my dreams and I told him that we should make a commitment then he asked what is for you a commitment? I got a bit...

Commitment issues [ 2 Answers ]

I've been dating a man for 2 months, when we met we both said we weren't looking for anything serious. We had both come out of something in the last 6 months, were busy with our businesses and there was an age difference of 8 years. In a very short time things took a very different turn, we found...

Commitment Issues [ 2 Answers ]

10 months ago I started dating a great guy I've known for 3 years. At first I wasn't attracted to him. Now, I am more attracted to him then anyone else. 5 months into our relationship, he took me to London and Paris. We started planning a future together and I thought he was the man of my...

View more questions Search