Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2011, 02:47 PM
    I need to learn how to read faster, can anyone suggest a method they experienced?
    Its my pitiful attention span, I read to slow for my brain to stay entertained. I need to be able to absorb written information faster.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 07:22 PM

Hi Animus - I find that when I am truly enjoying the material I am reading I seem to go through the book faster - do you have a hard time with speed (and comprehension) when you are reading a book with a topic you enjoy?
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    Hi Animus - I find that when I am truly enjoying the material I am reading I seem to go through the book faster - do you have a hard time with speed (and comprehension) when you are reading a book with a topic you enjoy?
    When I enjoy the material I can read late into the night, and that seems to be the only way I can finish books within a year. I don't have problems with comprehension, its my attention, I start drifting off in my mind and forget what I am reading, then have to go back over it.

My fiancé glances over a sentence and understands the gist of it. I have to look at each word and piece them all together. I have heard about speed reading techniques but I don't know which one to trust.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 04:19 PM

When you read, look at groups of words instead of individual words.

Noun phrases (noun + adjectives) = The little black kitten

Verb phrases (verb + adverbs) = played happily

Prepositional phrases = with its grey catnip mouse.

You had written --

I start drifting off / in my mind / and forget / what I am reading, / then have to go back / over it.

Add slashes between phrases and groups of phrases in a book you are reading (don't mark up a library book, though!). Then slowly and deliberately read each group of phrases. That will help you begin to see groups and not individual words, and will help you speed up your reading.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What books can I read about how to learn about window 98 and xp? [ 1 Answers ]

What books to read about windows 98 and xp

Men. There is more after the initial Chase. Read and learn. [ 1 Answers ]

This thread was encouraged by us AMHD women who feel that SOME men are jerks, and the following might just be some reasons we think so... Maybe some potential jerks will read this and take a few hints. The chase: R, my guy. R was my daughter's father in law. He told her that he found me...

View more questions Search