Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NJBob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 07:15 AM
    asbestos tiles sizes?
    what is the typical tile size? We have a house built in 1954 and the tiles are a dark brown and about 8x8 in size. They are solid but come up easily and some have simply cracked with age and are in pieces on the floor. The adhesive is non functional for the most part as the tiles are in a laundry room area
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 09:02 AM

The presence or absence of asbestos cannot be determined by tile size. Eight by eight or 9X9 were typical at that time for both asbestos and non-asbestos tiles.

The hazard of asbestos is in the dust, not in the product itself. Therefore the hazard is in the manufacture and prolonged exposure to the dust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing walls in a basement with asbestos floor tiles [ 13 Answers ]

I'm going to be framing walls in my basement which currently has asbestos tiles for the floor. Rather than remove the tiles, I am going to put carpet over them, I wanted to drive the nails for the bottom wall plate straight through the tiles into the concrete below. What precautions should I take...

How can I seal asbestos floor tiles [ 4 Answers ]

I have asbestos floor tiles in the basement. I would like to seal them but I am not sure what kind of sealer should be used. Most lealers are for wood flooring and I do not know if it will adhere to the asbestos vinyl tiles.

Seal floor against moisture, asbestos tiles and prep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 43 year old home in unincorporated King Co. Washington state. The two-car garage was transformed into a family room years before I bought the house. There is a moisture problem with the concrete floor that I think is generating mold. Before I install any permanent flooring, I need to...

Asbestos floor tiles? [ 9 Answers ]

We are replacing some wall to wall carpeting. The other day when the installer came out to measure the room he said that the tiling underneath was asbestos. We are putting new wall to wall carpet down over that floor (which is not brittle and is intact). 2 questions: 1. Where can we have a piece...

View more questions Search