Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
    Installing vinyl siding onto overlapped T1-11
    This spring I plan on installing vinyl siding over my existing T1-11. I do have a few questions due to the way the T1-11 was installed. I'll try my best to explain. I have a two story home. The top sheet of T1-11 overlaps the bottom sheet probably by a couple inches. So it is not a true "flat" vertical surface to work on. If I decided to install vinyl over the T1-11 the way it is now... would this be noticeable? OR, should I install foam board or plywood the thickness of the overlap to make it a flat surface?

parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2011, 02:47 AM

ducsauce, it would be noticeable. Myself, I would trim the over-lapping couple of inches off the top pieces of t1-11. Chaulk a line and set the saw depth, and nail the new edge in tight. Good luck

Jan 23, 2011, 02:50 AM

I just wonder if they nailed a furring strip at the very top to bring the top piece of T1-11 plumb with the bottom, does that make sense? Will that be a big deal? I don't think that would be THAT noticeable, if at all.

The ends of my home have three pieces of T1-11. The corner wood trim is also overlapped? Is this common?
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2011, 03:45 AM

ducsauce, I doubt they used a furring strip, if they did I would take it out also and fill the space to plumb. The overlapping trim is normal, you need to remove the trim prior to installing your vinyl corner. Are you planning on using house wrap?

Jan 23, 2011, 03:59 AM
    I meant they may have installed a furring strip up top behind the upper T1-11 panel to make it plumb with the bottom one. If they did and I cut the overlap where they meet like you stated in the previous post, the two panels still wouldn't be on the same flat plane, right?

Sorry if I misunderstood.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2011, 04:17 AM

On lower part of building, install 2'' wide plywood strips the same thickness as T1-11.This will give u the same plane as the top. Lay the stripping out 16'' on center.

OR

U can use foam insulation that is the same thickness as T1-11.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2011, 11:42 AM

Your saying the top sheet of T-1 11 has been furred out completely, then do as Chuck suggested. I thought you meant they had placed a single strip were the two sheets meet. Sorry for the confusion and good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Securing vinyl shutters to vinyl siding [ 1 Answers ]

Vinyl shutters were recently installed to our vinyl sided home. The instructions that came with the shutters say that you should not tighten the screws too tightly or it will restrict the expansion and contraction of the siding. I noticed that our shutters are secured very tightly to our siding...

Drilling into vinyl siding [ 4 Answers ]

I need to drill some holes in my vinyl siding to attach some shutters. I am concerned about cracking my siding during installation since the weather is getting colder. If I drill into the siding in 50 degree weather, would the siding be prone to cracking or would this only happen in much cooler...

Siding Repair - Which do you prefer Hardie Plank or Vinyl Siding? [ 1 Answers ]

I am actually someone who is looking for tips on renovation. This month I am planning on doing some siding repair. I am currently using vinyl but I was wondering if it would be advisable to still use vinyl and just repair my siding or would it be better to replace it with hardieplank? Please if...

Installing vinyl siding over cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to install vinyl siding right over top of cedar siding?

Installing entry door with existing vinyl siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all - let me preface my problem below by saying I’m a fairly new homeowner, and don’t really know much about vinyl siding. I suspect I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not really sure where I went astray: I recently had to remove and then re-install a pre-hung entry door leading to our 2nd...

View more questions Search