Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Buffley123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
    Im scared to pick up my hamster
    Im scared to pick up my hamster he is a chinese dwarf hamster. Whenever I try to pick him up or get close to him he always snaps around and tries to bite me so I jump back and shut the cage. What should I do I don't want him to have a miserable life that's never been touch or handle. So can anyone help me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 08:05 PM

Take your time, and yes they nip you from time to time,

Get him to go into something like a toilet paper tube and then put it where he will walk out into your hand.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 12:09 AM

Human beings think that every animal, every living thing needs contact. That's really not the case. There are many animals that we have as pets that actually don't like to be held, touched, cuddled, or to even have a companion. Hamsters are one of those animals.

Hamster tolerate being held, they don't enjoy it. They don't need companionship, the prefer to be alone, doing their thing, living their lives.

We as humans adopt these animals in the hopes of having a companion. That's not a bad thing, but the thought that he will have a miserable life if he isn't held by you, or petted by you, is not an accurate thought.

I know it's hard to understand. We humans are nurturing animals, we crave touch, we crave companionship, and we cannot understand why many of the animals we've domesticated aren't eager for the same.

You can work with him to get him to accept being held, but for many hamsters it's not possible. Some are more easy going than others. For some it just takes time in patience. For many they will never accept it.

Whenever we've brought a new hamster into our home we let him/her settle for around a week. That means allowing him to explore his new home, get used to his new surroundings, get comfortable with the sounds, actions, and goings on. After a week we (there are 4 people in our family, 2 adults, 2 kids) all sit on the floor, form a circle, to to toe, creating a little wall. We bring the hamster out and place him, and a few treats and toys, in the middle of the circle. Let him explore. Hamsters are very curious little animals. They love to explore new things.

With every hamster we've ever had it usually takes around an hour, sometimes less, for the hamster to approach one of us in the circle. We offer a little treat, and if he stays close to our hand while eating, we'll reach out, try petting. If he moves away we wait until he approaches one of us again.

This is something we do for days, every day, up to an hour or 2. Soon the hamster starts to become more brave, and curious. Holding your hand on the floor with a treat will often entice little hammy to come have a look. If he climbs on your hand to get the treat, just leave your hand on the floor and let him eat. It's a major step.

Once hammy is more tame handling him every day is important.

It takes a lot of patience, and with some hammy's it takes a lot of time.

You'll get there. :)
    micnbug68 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
    I have handled thousands of hamsters. The chinese hamsters are famous for flipping over, hissing and biting.
    I suggest that you get some good leather gloves and pick him up with those. Handle him freguently throughout the day, and always use the leather gloves to pick him up. Eventually you may find that you can handle him using only a towel for a while, then maybe only by hand.
    It is their nature to bite but they can be taught not to do that, it only takes patience, consistent glove handling, and time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 08:55 PM

I have only had the set of hamsters I have now, they are a dwarf hamster, but they love to be held, one all the time, if they see you walking around, he will run to the top of his house and even do a little "begging" motion to have you lift his lid and either pet him, or hold him ( or give him a treat)

Mine love to be in your hand and run from hand, to hand, to hand. ( like a tread mill) Of course mine like to run in their "balls" they normally come in and watch TV if that is where we are and they are out for a run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So I want to get a new hamster but... [ 6 Answers ]

I just want to know what the minimum temperature outside should be when I go out to buy a new hamster

Terrified to pick up my hamster [ 22 Answers ]

I have a panda bear hamster who is 2 and 1/2 months old. Whenever I get ready to pick her up I get so nervous and shaky, and I know this make it worse because hamsters sense fear and don't like being handled by nervous owners. What can I do to make myself seem less nervous? She has bitten me twice...

Got my new hamster [ 1 Answers ]

First of all I would like to thank all those who helped me by supplying info about hamsters. Yesterday I went and got one. He or she I'm not really sure for the gender, is named Chico. Our two cats never even noticed him yet, thank god. And for rex, well he hasn't tried to eat him so... Lilttle...

View more questions Search