Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larrylove50 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Work related injury
    I was injured on the job and my employer refuse to pay me for time loss.What are my options?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 05:53 PM

It depends upon which state or country you are in, but generally Workers Compensation only pays for lost wages if you are off work for a substantial period.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 06:16 PM

- and I'll add: was a WC claim filed? How long was OP off work (as AK asked)? Permanent injuries?

I get called in on cases where the injured party didn't file a WC claim and then it's too late.

Jan 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
    I WAS OUT OF WORK FOR (2)DAYS I WENT TO THE DOCTORS AND THE DOCTOR SENT ME BACK TO WORK THE SAME DAY I GOT INJURED WITH RESTRICTIONS (light duty).MY BOSS SAID HE DOESN'T HAVE light duty so he sent me home until my next Dr. appointment (2 days later).When I went back to the doctor he took me off light duty and sent me back to work.At that time my boss told me I would not be paid for loss time.I'm from the USA(CONNECTICUT)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 08:33 PM

Most states have a number of days you have to be out of work before the insurance company starts paying.

Here in GA you have to be out of work for an entire week before the will pay you. I think your state is 3 days, but you need to discuss this not with the company you work with, but with their workers comp insurance company

There should be a poster on the wall in the work area saying who the company is.

Also did you go to the approved doctor.

Also did you file a workers comp claim with the state and with the companies insurance carrier
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by larrylove50 View Post
    I WAS OUT OF WORK FOR (2)DAYS I WENT TO THE DOCTORS AND THE DOCTOR SENT ME BACK TO WORK THE SAME DAY I GOT INJURED WITH RESTRICTIONS (light duty).MY BOSS SAID HE DOESN'T HAVE light duty so he sent me home until my next Dr. appointment (2 days later).When I went back to the doctor he took me off light duty and sent me back to work.At that time my boss told me I would not be paid for loss time.I'm from the USA(CONNECTICUT)

Typing in caps is the same as screaming at me. There's no need to scream at me. I needed more info in order to answer you.

Did you file a WC claim? If you did not (and I'm not even addressing the waiting period until you answer that question) it's too late now.

I know of no law requiring that you be paid for your time off work.

Jan 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
    MY boss said he file a W/C claim but I would have had to be out of work for 3 days I was only out for 2 days but since the doctor sent me back to work the same day the injury happened with light duty doesn't that make it a employer issue and not a W/C issue because my employer sent me home because he didn't have light duty so shouldn't my employer pay me for the loss time (2 days)?
    Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 09:32 PM

That is correct, if you are out of work because you are injured on the job, you will get a amount, ( normally 75 percent of your normal pay)

But they are correct, you have to miss a certain number of days before they start paying you.

You can not collect for those first days,

They will have to pay for any and all of your medical bills.

No, it is a workers comp issue, you missed work because of the injury, the company is not under any obligation to supply you light duty work, most will if you are going to be on light duty for more than a few days.

Jan 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
    So what your saying is my boss don't have to pay me for the loss time even when the doctor sent me back to work and he (boss)sent me home?
    Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 08:51 AM

Correct, the doctor did not give you a full release to go back to work, only a limited duties, while many companies will put you at a desk or answering phones , there is no requirement for them to do so.

The company does not have to allow you to come back till you are fully released by the doctor.

So if you were given a light duty, the doctor would also have to give you a release to full duty

But what happens is that if injured on the job, they may requrie you to be fully 100 percent before allowing you back, that is permitted under workers comp rules.

So any and all of your claims will be against the insurance company. Also never trust the company to file the WC paper work, you have the obligation to file it, companies do it often for you, but if they don't turn it in, there is no record with the state.

Again the insurance company will pay all of your medical bills.

You are allowed to use personal time or vacaton time or sick leave for those two days, but that is your days not the companys responsibility

Jan 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Thank you very much for taking the time to answering my questions
    zarabrady24 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
    In the UK, you are eligible to file for claim for accident at work compensation against your employer because of the injury you sustained after an accident at work. Under the health and safety law, they should be providing their employees a healthy and safe working environment. A good solicitor may help push through with the claim, they can also offer you an agreement called a no win no fee compensation or a conditional fee agreement, this means, win or lose, you won't have to pay your solicitor's fee, the partnered insurance will cover the expenses. But if your claim wins, you'll receive a 100% compensation, your solicitor will get paid including an extra amount called the success fee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work Injury Clain [ 3 Answers ]

I was injured at work two months ago due to some tiles being missing or chipped out of the floors. I have been off since then, I was previously injured in the same spot about six months prior, only off for a short time, but have been complaining about the floor since then. One of my pit bosses...

What substance would work best with a knee injury? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi folks, I'm trying to stick to my New Year's Resolution of writing a book and I have a character in it who's an athlete with a knee injury. I want him to get drawn into taking banned substances because of his injury, but I don't know which one would make the most sense. I know EPO/CERA...

Work related injury [ 1 Answers ]

I have a work related injury. Can my employer ask about my treatment? How much can they ask? I am working with the case manager assigned to my company from the insurance company for the L & I cases. The questions were why off work for several more weeks. It and what treatment is your doctor...

Work injury! [ 3 Answers ]

I have emailed questions with regard to workmans comp in the past and I am still not sure about light duty I live in California. I have two herniated discs and just had an epidural injection for the first time about a week ago. After the epidural injections I still have mucsle spasms, and pain...

View more questions Search