Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MARK001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Fire chief wi
    At a public Town meeting the chairman made a statement while discussing insurance and naming all persons by name for the town that 2 members had heart attacks and another employee had medical bills over 35000. 00 which was wrong. Is this a volation of the Hippa law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 07:49 AM

Not unless the medical info was obtained from a medical source - did he repeat what is common knowledge?

As far as the medical bills - how did he become aware of that? It's not a violation of HIPAA (not Hippa, by the way) but I question why he mentioned it.

Jan 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
    The medical info was common knowledge to some but not all that were present and will be published in meeting minutes for others to see. Was not obtained vias medical records. He became aware of the medical bills as the municapality paid for the medical costs due to workers comp claims. The point he was making was some fire fighters are geeting up in age and may place the town at a higher risk medically.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 03:58 PM

Certainly no HIPAA violation. Privacy issues, perhaps. Have the people whose information was released and who are upset asked an Attorney about this?

To a certain extent Government employees have some expectation of public salaries and benefits. I don't think it's to this extent, though.

I'd consult with an Attorney.

Jan 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Will do . Thanks for your time.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 06:15 PM

I also believe that WC claims are, in fact, public record. That changes things somewhat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Dufus in Chief [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: What's worse, a tax and spend Democrat or a borrow and spend Republican? To me, and I don't know much, it seems that if you're going to spend, paying for it is better than borrowing for it. But, that's just me. To me, NOT spending is better. Of course, the dufus in chief borrowed....

Lawn Chief [ 2 Answers ]

My mower blades engage when the cutting deck is lowered, it runs fine as long as I cut high, but if I lower it to low it starts to cut out even on the driveway. What could it be?

Lawn chief 12/39 [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a lawn chief 12/39 used.The problem I am having is it starts very hard and I usually have to jump start it.When I do get it started.I can drive around all day without problems and it can also sit idle with the mower running but when both are engaged it stalls.It has a 12hp briggs engine in...

View more questions Search