Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CM ONE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 04:22 PM
    (another) Washing machine Drainage Problem.
    The other day the washing machine drain overflowed all of a sudden. Thinking it is clogged for sure I have attempted to snake the drain with no luck. I can't seem to get the snake past the 90 degree (no trap) curve at the bottom of the standpipe. I next attempted a drain cleaning bladder which seemed to work, I heard water moving but when I shut it off the water flooded back out everywhere. My question now is: Is there supposed to be water in the standpipe all the time? I'd like to know before I reconnect the washer and have to clean up a third mess.

Thanks very much.
    Chris
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2007, 04:37 PM
    You have a clog in the washer drain line. Snake the line from the washer roof vent or rent a power machine and go in through the stand pipe. If there is no trap then you have a direct connection between your home and the open sewer allowing sewer gas to enter your home. I would install a trap ASAP. The reason that you had water coming back is that the water hit the clog and went up the vent. When you quit adding water it all came flooding back. Regards, Tom
    CM ONE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Wow Thanks for the quick response. Any thoughts on why the snake won't go past the elbow? The problem with the washer roof vent is a) I'm not sure which one it is and b) it's minus 15 and the roof is steep and covered in snow. I think I'll end up renting the auger like you suggested but I worry about having the same problem as the snake and it not going through properly. I've attached a picture of the drain at the bootom of the standpipe. It's located between the main floor and the basement whisch is finished making installation of a trap very difficult. The drain then heads to the wall and down and I'm not sure where from there.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2007, 05:28 PM
    I would first cut out the elbo at the base of the stand pipe. You now have a clear shot at the horizontal drain line. I would then replace the elbo with a "P" trap and protect my family from sewer gas. Good luck, Tom
    lahharley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 04:34 PM
    I would imagine this question has been asked previously. However, I need an update. I have an older home (built around 1969) and I am having problems with the washer drain overflowing when the water pumps from the washing machine. I have snaked it and ran a water hose through it, and the water runs through smoothly. However, when I try to have water discharged from washer again it overflows. Would decreasing the flow of water into drain pipe help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer machine drainage pressure causing leak further down drainpipe? [ 4 Answers ]

The sink and washer drain pipes were rerouted from their original location and I believe it may have sprung a leak behind the wall. The sink has not been connected yet so I can't comment on regular drainage. I've used my washer/dryer a few times already and sometimes the water drains fine, and...

Whirlpool Kirkland Signature Washing Machine DRAINING Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Bought this AR 711625 Part No. 3953661 5-cycle Heavy Duty Extra Large Capacity 2-speed Washer 2nd hand about a month ago. About 10 days ago, started having trouble with the dirty grey water draining, but found if I hit the machine at a certain place on the top right and side, it would agitate and...

Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool washing machine will wash but will not rinse or spin. Please help me I am not sure what I need to do?:eek:

View more questions Search