Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baltinena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 02:05 PM
    CoWorkers Tang-teamed in Ignoring
    I work in a very small department and have been here for about 3 years. We all started around the same time and are a total of 3, one male, and 2 females, including myself. We all got along fairly well, going out to lunches and chitchat. About a year ago, we hired a new employee (another female), who I had pushed to get on board. We all seemed to jell well and it was one big happy department.

But then all of a sudden for the past few months, everything has shifted. The female coworkers have started to completely ignore me and talk among themselves, as if I don't even exist anymore. They both sneak out to lunches, never once asking me and chat all day online. It's even gotten this far, that when I was sick, not one of them even bothered to see how I was doing or feeling! I mean what happened to common courtesy!

It's become very awkward and uncomfortable since we're such a small department. I have been trying to wrap my brain around, why they are giving me this cold treatment. I cannot think of anything! I always made efforts to include all of them in anything we did or talked about because I didn't want anyone to feel left out.

So I don't get why I'm being singled out all of a sudden. I can't help but feel sensitive about this entire issue. I even asked the coworker who started the same time as me, is there something going on that I should be aware of? But she flatly denied anything being wrong. Now I'm at a point where I don't know what to do! I don't want to come across as a baby in the work place. I have been focusing on my work and trying to not let this get to me, but it's hard for it not to. Please offer any feedback or suggestions. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

I was an office manager for a fairly large department and saw the "these people are not friends with those people" problem all the time.

If you want to know why specific people are excluding you, ask them. I wouldn't ask a third party and drag that person into it. Ask the people who are directly involved.

They might simply have more similar interests with each other than with you. It may be more sinister.

The only way to know is to ask.

Unfortunately people don't feel the way you do (include everybody, don't leave anybody out) and choose to allow their personal lives to interfere with their work lives. If these two have a personal connection they SHOULD include you in work functions and then also have a personal connection - but I know SHOULD and DO are different things and no office manager is going to get into this situation.

So, again, I'd ask - maybe you won't get an answer but you'll get the question out there.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 03:12 PM

It's difficult to determine what exactly is going in their minds. It could be a simple matter of wanting to have girl-talks, but they can't do it when a guy a around.

There's a possibility that something happened that you are unaware of.

Since we're not sure if there's anything serious yet, my suggestion would be to keep it light, try to approach them and suggest: "Hey, we haven't gone out for lunch together in a while, let's go today." And then go from there. There's no reason to escalate the tension if you're unsure of what's really going on.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 06:40 PM

They are co workers, and often not friends, not anything but people who share office space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coworkers jealous of me [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Laura. I am doing accounting job. There are three other girls in the accounting office except me. I work so hard. And I do anything I can. I always say"no problem" and always finish anything earlier than others. So my manager gave me "excellence award" in last December. Other...

What NFL receivers are double-teamed the most? [ 1 Answers ]

Sports, NFL, Top double teamed receivers

Why does my former coworkers avoid me? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so here's the situation. I just moved to a new building not far from my former workplace. So every time I'm having my break, I always bump to my former coworkers. Some of them say "hi" to me but most of them try to avoid me as much as possible or they pretend they didn't see me and avoid eye...

Cheating coworkers [ 1 Answers ]

Why would a married guy who's been flirting with you for over a year,and who does everything possible to show how much he cares about you ,and want to be with , and who says ask me anything you want to know about me I will tell you,and he has,would get so offended when he starts talking about his...

Flirting coworkers [ 8 Answers ]

There is this married guy that has been flirting with me about a month after he was hired.I'ts been a year and a half since He's been hired, and He's still flirting with me.The prolem is I've fallen in love with Him,and I Don't know how to get rid of these feeling since I see Him everyday.Also. His...

View more questions Search