Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eidurt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Canadian who worked in the US and has an IRA in the USA.
    I worked in the US for 3 years and when I quit and moved home to Canada my 401K from work was moved into an IRA. It has been 5 years since I moved and now I am beign told that I cannot hold the IRA because I have a Canadian address. If I have to liquidate it and move the $$$ to Canada I will be taxed which I want to avoid. I am looking for someone with some knowledge of this subject who can advise me of my options. My investment company can't seem to give me a straight answer.

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 04:28 PM

Who is your investment company? There is no rule that foreign nationals must liquidate their US-based IRA just because they don't have a US address. However, not all institutions are set up to deal with this. I suggest that instead of taking the funds you do a rollover to an IRA with another house that accepts accounts for non-US people. Fidelity for example will let you roll your old account to a new IRA with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ira withdrawal canadian non-resident withholding taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 60 year old canadian resident with 250 000$ in an IRA. What are the tax implications of a 100% withdrawl vs a gradual withdrawl over 10 years.

Ira distribution to a canadian permamnent resident? [ 1 Answers ]

I was working on an H1B in the U.S. and left in 2006 and became a Canadian permanent resident. In 2008 I made an early distribution of the IRA I had established while in the U.S. Do I have to file a 1040NR in the U.S. and am I therefore taxable in the U.S. I incurred significant tax losses...

If you are in the usa, can a canadian collector come after you for a canadian debt [ 1 Answers ]

Debt collection in the usa as it relates to a canadian debt and canadian collector

If a canadian citizen kills another Canadian in the USA, where would he be tried? [ 4 Answers ]

A Canadian citizen is living in the United States on a Student visa. Another Canadian citizen who is in the US on vacation murders the student and is apprehended by US law enforcement. Would the murderer be extradited to Canada, or tried in the US? Would it make a difference if he had a warrant for...

View more questions Search