Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeatherP Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 10:37 PM
    My sisters mentally ill
    My sister is seriously mentally ill, she has diagnosed sycosis, bi polar disorder, and scitsophrenia (I don't know how to spell those) and she's a major drug head, she's 21 years old and has no medical, so no hospital will take her, she has warrants but the cops refuse to take her because she's mental, she won't stop coming back to the house and every time she does she makes the house smell of MJ and yells and flips out on everyone, she also likes to threaten to call the cops if no one gives her money and for some reason they accually show up. She's lied saying my fiancé tried to kill her when she was being racist to a friend and he told her to stop so she tried to physically attack him and he put her in a hold, my elder half brother believed her and punched my fiancé against what I told him, my sister has made me take her BS for years and she is "86"ed from the park, where I live, a gated community and yet the guards still let her in, and usually someone drives her, she's stollen everything from the house before and my grandmother (the owner of the house) won't believe me about it whether I have proof or not, she is supporting my sister by buying her everything she asks for. To get to the point I'm begging for a solution, something I can do to get her away for more then 24 hours, something legal, that won't kill her, that my grandmother doesn't have to sign for and that she doesn't have to consent to. She has been diagnosed as a threat, but no one will do anything because she doesn't have medical and she won't apply for it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SO GOD HELP ME, HELP ME!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 10:40 PM

Next time she is physical with you, you need to call the police and have her taken to the hospital as a "danger to herself and/or others." They then will do a psych evaluation. If it turns out that she is indeed a threat, she can be held for up to, and sometimes longer, than 72 hours in a state hospital for the mentally ill.
    CarlyAnn Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
    Your sister needs to be sent involuntarily by mental health professionals to rehab or institutionalized through a state-run program. Sorry you're having to go through this. That's a tough one!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 10:50 PM

Not sure why the police will not take her, mentally ill get arrested every day where I am at. Plus if she is flipping out, the family can have the police take her into mental health for an evaluation. And she would be keep in a state facilility (tax paid) till she could be controlled with medication
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Not sure why the police will not take her, mentally ill get arrested every day where I am at. Plus if she is flipping out, the family can have the police take her into mental health for an evaluation. And she would be keep in a state facilility (tax paid) till she could be controlled with medication
    The problem arises when she gets out. Most likely she will be non-complaint with traditional medication and begin to self medicate again.

Jan 20, 2011, 12:09 AM
    She was in an evaluation, they chose to let her go and she came back here, thanks for the quick responses but I'm the only one willing to do anything about my sister since I'm the only one that has to deal with her, my grandmother deals with her to and my sister has almost caused the death of my great grandmother by heart attack, and my grandmother by stress, her heart is enlarged now, and my sister has prescriptions but no medical and the prescription costs over 1,000$ wich is way too much, she has almost gotten us evicted from the house several times, all of management doesn't like my sister and pretty much had a party when they thought she was gone for good. No one will take her, we have even taken her into the police station and they saw her warrants but still didn't want to take her, when she is taken, wich the MET team was here to take her last, if she wants out she some how knows how to act, that or she's too crazy and they let her out, my sister without cigs or weed is like a wild lion or tiger with no food just not as strong. Also to J_9, she's "afraid" of my fiancé now so she won't try physically, though she's trying to get my grandmother to make my fiancé and myself leave because he supposedly says snide remarks to try to get my sister to react, wich is not true, my sister has stressed my grandmother to the point she believes my sister no questions asked

Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 AM
    Comment on CarlyAnn's post
    If I knew how to go about doing this I would, I know there's a place in ventura but I don't know if they will come all the way out to long beach, where I live in California
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 12:29 AM

You have a tough road ahead.

Sadly, if you live in your grandmothers house and your grandmother allows your sister to enter the home, there's not much you can do but call the police when she starts to act crazy.

There's always the option of moving to your own home. When you own your own home you don't have to let her in. You can cut all contact with her and let her enablers deal with the consequences of their and her actions.

Hopefully they'll soon realize that they're not helping her by giving her money and allowing her into their homes.

She needs help, and none of your family is equipped to give her the help she needs.

I'd move and cut all contact, or speak to a counselor about staging an intervention.

Jan 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
    I know its my own fault for staying but my grandmother has said the house is soon to be mine, and I do have the power to tell my sister no sometimes but when I do and she flips she goes straight to my grandmother, who doesn't want to deal with it, I've told her I wanted to put us on intervention but she flat out refused to it, also, I wanted to move but I have no real excuse, its not an option at the moment though.
    zoey29 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 03:19 PM
    A state mental institutions is the only way around your problem for now. When she acts out that way
    You shouldn't have to live with that. Until she understands she needs to take medication and follow
    Doctors orders, this situation will only get worse and possibly, she may wind up dead or hurting
    Someone else... or even locked up for god knows how long. In order to SAVE her from this catastrophe you really need to fight to help her. TRY contacting NAMI(National alliance for the mentally ill). Its
    Non profit. They have volunteer advocates and groups you can go to for support. Or contact your counties
    Mental health dept. They should be able to offer you some options for residential treatment facilities.
    Also: prior to doing anything with STATE mental health hospitals.(Because they are not run good),I would
    Look into getting a court order for her to go into a live in treatment program. You can do this with
    The help of a doctor (will need dr's note and recommendation) and then you have to ask for legal aid
    To help you plead your case in what they call mental health court.. Look into this, it'll be worth it.

There is such a thing as Mental Health Court believe it or not.Just call your local bar association

But she cannot be a felon in order to get help through them.

Good Luck!

Jan 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
    I wanted to add something else: The info below can be found in phone book..
    Look into *Involuntary* commitment at your county mental health emergency number. They will want proof
    Your sister is a danger to herself or someone else. You need to provide them with the detailed info
    That she threatened to cause harm to you or others.. They will then ask to talk to her on phone. If
    She refuses , they may still send an officer to walk you through the process of committing her. They come
    To your house and try to witness what you are complaining about. They(Cops) will call the county
    Mental health emergency number if they feel you have a dangerous situation.thats how you get her
    Committed. (But only temporarily unfortunately).Cops usually want to be of help when it comes to
    The mentally disturbed. Especially given her young age etc.. If they give you a problem, ask for the
    Chief of police on duty on that specific day or night.. Tell him your story and goal of getting her
    The help she needs.They really don't react much unless you stress she is a danger to herself or others.

Also, please try to find documentation of her diagnosis of schizophrenia,and Bi-Polar. They may
    Need to see that as evidence that she is ill and that you are not just saying it.. Let these people
    Know you want to HELP HER... NOT GET RID OF HER!! :) I say that with concern for you and your
    Situation because they will not react at all if you whine and complain about how she's inconveniencing
    Your life! Hearing you want to save a life will go over big I'm assuming. They cannot refuse help
    To you if you say she is a danger to herself or others.. and that she has a diagnosis as well.I hope
    This extra info helps you. I'm sorry you have to go through this trauma! There is light at the
    End of the tunnel though.

Jan 23, 2011, 05:03 PM
    P.S. About mental health insurance/coverage? You can apply for it through the dept of welfare.
    Just fill out an application for her. There's a loop hole you should know about .Its based on her
    Diagnosis. Just bring the written diagnosis with you or send it in with application.Never give away originals.. They may send you
    To Social security at first.. That's OK. Apply there too. When I applied for my son (Who is now 26) he
    He was 22 years old . I was and still am his representative payee.meaning, I over see all his care. I was refused at welfare and told
    To go to s s. We needed an "Intense Case worker" from the counties mental health intervention in order
    For s s to take us serious. Even though I had his written diagnosis on hand! The case worker put it
    In writing that my son exhibited extreme mental illness and that his team has been working with him for
    A long time now.. etc that he was hospitalized over a dozen times since he met my son.. and that they
    Highly recommend social services consider his case for health insurance and monthly income.

Please bear in mind, You need to be in tight contact with advocates and get a case manager through
    Your local dept of mental health in order to convince s s that your sister is in dire need and is
    Eligible for this help! Doing it alone won't help in most cases and lawyers are too expensive!

If you can get someone on the phone who does case management for the mentally ill, that's great! You'll
    Know they're really doing their job if they help you help your sister!! Some of them can be dead
    Heads so keep trying different places if you run into a road block. (REQUEST the supervisor right away
    If the case manager seems ill informed or not eager to help you out.. They get paid to HELP PEOPLE IN
    DISTRESS. Don't settle for less than what you deserve.

Btw: my son got ss right after the case manager faxed some paper work about my his case. I was
    Powerless by myself. I had gone there a year before in person with hospital records etc and was
    Turned down! That's why I stress to you, Don't isolate yourself in this. Reach
    Out and do what you can do to help your sister. Keep remembering, she is not in her right mind and
    Needs you to intercede for her. Unfortunately, your grandmother is enabling her.Im sure she loves
    Her but she is in the dark too.Mental illness is a brain disease not a choice your sister made. That may be the driving force that compels you to help her. I walked down a similar path you are on.
    Keep asking questions and don't rely on police to give you the long term care she needs. When you do
    Call police about her, you must say " I have a mental health crisis at my home and need someone to
    come quickly".MY sister is diagnosed with a mental illness.. saying that to them is very important or
    Else they will be quick to arrest her or treat her aggressively.. You don't want that and neither
    Does your grandmother I'm sure. I always alerted the police before they arrived that we had a mental
    Health crisis at the premises. It's their job to help you by calling dept of mental health and saying
    They believe she needs to be committed immediately. If the cop doesn't want to do this, you need to
    Call and request the chief of police take care of the situation then.. usually patrol men are a bit
    Lame and inexperienced with mental illness.. You need to either enlighten them or your rights or
    Make a second call going above their head if necessary. Call NAMI also. They are there to help
    For free. Wishing you the best in all your efforts to help your sister! Zoey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do?Is he mentally ill? [ 1 Answers ]

I stay with a verbal and emotional abusive husband.Just 4 months ago my child is born.Now my husband is taking advantage of it he thinks that now I can not leave him for any of his misbehaviour and abuse.If he assumes that I can leave him during any fight then he tries to threaten me that he will...

M I mentally ill? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I need some advice form you to get away form feeling down, but please don't judge me. My story is too long and my english is not too good. Sorry for that. Here is my story. Now, I am in my 22. I am a fatherless child since I was born. I don't know anything about my father or my father's...

Mentally ill son [ 6 Answers ]

My son of 19 years has been given a diagnoses of schizophenia.He is currently in a mental health unit for 3 weeks. They want him to go to a county hospital . Will his rights be taken away. If something happens to him am I able to make any decisions on his behalf? I'm scared something could happen...

How will I know if I am mentally ill or if it is just stress? [ 4 Answers ]

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I did all the research on what it is. I don't believe that I have it. I was abused very badly on many occasions as a child and recently on jobs and by family members and people who I thought were my friends. I believe that it is just trauma from my...

Mentally ill parents [ 7 Answers ]

As some of you may know, both my biological parents had a serious mental illness. I am working on a book for adult children of mentally ill parents, sort of a semi-autobiography of my own life, but I would also like to include stories from others. I have interviewed a few people in my city, but I...

View more questions Search