Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AbovenBeyond Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Jan 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
    I'm planning to be self taught musician, what is the best starting instrument ?
    To start I have NO previous musical experience. I don't know anything about reading music, tunes, chords, or notes.

I'm not going to get the chance of having a private tutor or class, I'll be learning it myself using the Internet primarily. Maybe some free lessons on Google or something like that.

At home, I have an old guitar and an electric piano that I can start with.

So the question is, what musical instrument is easiest to self teach for someone who has no previous musical experience?

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 08:58 PM

You may learn to play a guitar, but you will need to find the music lesson book that does not use music you have to read, there are lessons that uses a "tab" method and the "Nashville Five" method that teaches cords.

But if you are ever going to really move and learn you will have to learn how to read music, learn keys and more.

** Note learning to play the guitar will make your fingers hurt, if they don't, you are not practicing enough

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am planning on starting my own grocery store [ 2 Answers ]

Am planning on starting my own grocery store but not sure where to start or how to go about it Does anyone have any advice. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Who taught you how to shave? [ 11 Answers ]

Who taught you how to shave? I didn't have a male role model, so I taught myself. My mother bought an electric razor for me which Ive used for awhile. I tried the single and double manual razors, but disliked them compared to my electric razor. Didn't really learn how to lather and shave until...

Self taught unqualified [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, Im 24 living in the UK. I have GCSEs and AS levels. Currently in a dead end job in a call centre. I am always learning new things and have a lot of skills, but because I have taught myself I have no qualifications of certificates to show for them. These include, Graphic...

Changing things that are taught. [ 1 Answers ]

I was thinking after what has happened at Virginia Tech, that something has to be done to make the children not do that anymore. So my ideas are: teach respect, teach kindness and love and to go along with that, teach children first aid, self disipline, self defence and teach them how to act if...

View more questions Search