Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drewaa617 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 09:38 PM
    Is it right to be bringing up the past?
    I cheated on my girl friend like 6 times during our 2 years together. She decided to give me another chance. I regret it with all my heart. Now we keep fighting and even though she knows I won't do her wrong again she still brings up the past out of the blue often. I get mad when she brings it up out of no where. We can be good at a Celtic game and the next thing you know she gets angry because she thinks about the cheating. Do I have a right to be upset?? Im trying to be the best boyfriends possible.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 09:44 PM

Here's the issue, she doesn't completely trust you, and she has very good reasons for that. She may want to be with you, but she can't forget what you did. It's not like you cheated one time. You cheated 6 times. Frankly I'm surprised that she even gave you another chance.

If she needs to gripe about your past every once in a while, so be it. It will take time for her to forget, and to trust you. You haven't earned that trust, in fact, you destroyed it. It will take time for her to completely trust you again, if she ever does.

If you're serious about her than suggest counseling. She needs to get her feelings out so she can deal with them and figure out where she wants to go from here, whether she can trust you enough to have a relationship with you and forget the past, or if she can't let go and therefore needs to let you go.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Harshness warning

No you have no right to be upset, and you have absolutely no right to even think she trust you like she did before. You do have a right to address her feelings, and reassure her when she gets upset, probably every time you leave the house without her.

It takes a lot of selfish gall to expect her not to be affected by your cheating, and forget about what you put her through. Keep with that attitude, and the trust will never be rebuilt, nor will you both move forward. To ignore her concerns, and not understand the why of her actions, because of YOUR actions is unreal, and selfish, and like taking a bat upside her head and being mad she has a headache.

You better check yourself, because if you are not willing to pay the consequences of your actions, then you surely will never be willing to make amends, and rebuild the trust you so callously ripped apart, and seem so unwilling to fix.

You can do better than wallow in your own crap my friend, because it was you who did the hurting, and its you who must help the healing.

Put away your selfish annoyance, and replace it with some patient understanding, or you don't stand a chance. What you think she was just going to forget everything and kiss your butt?? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2011, 08:19 AM

To be blunt, I don't see her ever fully forgiving you and moving past 6 time you have cheated on her. For one thing obviously you are prime example that if cheats once will again!!

You need to take this time and find out why you feel it was okay to cheat on your girlfriend 6 different times. Perhaps you need to go and get some counseling on your own. That way you can learn that killing someone's trust in you is not only annoying for you, but absolutely devastating to the person you cheat on!!
    She isn't married to you, if she is smart she will kick you to curb, and find a man that not only knows how to say loyalty but really understands the meaning.
    kaka67 Posts: 261, Reputation: 200

Jan 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drewaa617 View Post
    I cheated on my girl friend like 6 times during our 2 years together. She decided to give me another chance. I regret it with all my heart. Now we keep fighting and even though she knows I wont do her wrong again she still brings up the past out of the blue often. I get mad when she brings it up out of no where. We can be good at a Celtic game and the next thing you know she gets angry because she thinks about the cheating. Do I have a right to be upset??????? Im trying to be the best boyfriends possible.
    ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to talaniman again

Wow its all about you isn't it?

The best thing that could happen is she dumps your sorry *** on the side walk and gets someone who isn't so self centred.

Either you both get some help dealing with the mess YOU made or you separate.

Does she actually know it was 6 times or does she think it was just one "mistake"??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bringing the my past into this new relationship, how do I stop? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys. I need some help! I ended my five year on going unhealthy relationship about 6 months ago. My ex was a bipolar alcoholic musician that never put me first and constantly broke up with me, then came crawling back. Made promises he never kept and pretty much I was his caretaker that tried...

Boyfriend bringing up my past whenever we fight [ 19 Answers ]

Almost every time my boyfriend and I fight he brings up my past before him. Last night we had a huge fight because I saw on his phone that he was texting his neighbour, who is a girl that I can't stand because she talks badly about me, so I asked him to stop talking to her. I won't go into detail...

Mutual friend bringing up the past, insight appreciated. [ 3 Answers ]

Guys, Im really confused and would appreciate some advice. I spent nearly a year in the company of A young woman (26) getting to know her and her me. We spent a reasonable amount of time together But nothing sexual. We are from different cultures so we discussed the issues surrounding a ...

How do I hide my crimial past when my friends keep bringing it up? [ 9 Answers ]

I have been in jail and since being released I joke with my friends about it to stop it from affecting me in life.but now they joke about it in front of new friends and I can't shake my past,but at the same time I need to joke about it or else it will just set me back in my old ways.what do I do?

View more questions Search