Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninzyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
    Having trouble with Physics Homework, HELP! Due tomorrow
    Answer any one of them please!

1. A 12 kg block sliding at 6.5 m/s along a level floor encounters rough area where the coefficient of friction is 0.20. The rough area is 5 meters long. How fast will the block be moving as it leaves the rough area? Where did the energy go?

2. A 800 kg car traveling southward at 9.2 m/s collides with a 900 kg car traveling northward at 4.5 m/s.
    The cars become entangled. What is the speed and direction of the cars immediately following the collision?

3. A 6kg block slides down a 2.0 m long frictionless ramp which is inclined 40 degrees above the ground.
    a) find the height of the top of the ramp and then determine the speed at the bottom of the ramp.

b) If the block collides with, and sticks to a 8.2 kg block which had been at rest at the bottom of the ramp, how fast would they now move?

c) Determine how much energy the two blocks have after the collision.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 10:49 PM

You will need to post what you have tried to do to solve them though...

Force due to friction is given by:

where mu is the coefficient of friction, R is the normal reaction of the table on the mass. And remember that:

Now, you have two possibilities, either use energy, or use kinematics.

Kinematics:
    Use to find the acceleration of the block, then use to get the speed with which the mass leaves the rough surface.

Energy:
    Use , then work out the kinetic energy of the mass, , subtract the work done and use again the kinetic energy formula to get the final speed.

2. Use the principle of conservation of momentum.

3. (a) Make a sketch, and use trigonometry to find the height of the top of the ramp.

Since it's a frictionless ramp, working with energy is faster. Find the potential energy of the mass at the top of the ramp, then apply the principle of conservation of energy. At the bottom, use the kinetic energy to get the speed of the block.

(b) Use the equation of 2.

(c) Using your answer of (b), use the kinetic energy formula to get this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help for homework due tomorrow [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all I'm taking cast accounting this course And I have homework But I can't solve it Would you help me -- 2-31 Cost of good manufactured. Consider the following account balances ( in thousands ) for the Mandelo Company.

Need help with questions due tomorrow! [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problems with the following accounting multiple choice problems. Hope someone can help me. I hope someone can help me soon as these problems are due in a day. 1.Which one of the following is not an objective of inancial reporting according to the conceptual framework? A.To...

Due TOMORROW!Think I'm About 2 Go N2 Labor [ 5 Answers ]

I'm due to have my baby tomorrow. I went to the doctor today for my weekly visit, and he checked my cervix. He told me that I am only dilated to a 1 and about 50% effaced. I know it's normal to bleed just a little bit after a cervix test... but... 3 HOURS after I got home, I noticed my...

This is an assignment that's due tomorrow thanks [ 1 Answers ]

Plzzzzz someone help me... Pretend you are an american in 1790, describeyour emotions about george washigton being elected Plll someone help me this is due tomorrow...

I've got TWO essays due TOMORROW. [ 8 Answers ]

It's finals week and I've got to have TWO essays two pages each. It's about civics and government. I don't have TIME! I need help, and I don't know what to do. I'm about to resort to copying and pasting an essay. It's between a grade and my morals. I have no morals.

View more questions Search