Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
    Light switch near hot tub
    I have a deck that was just built and will shortly have a concrete patio poured under it that thanks to this forum's help is ready for a future hot tub. Once the deck and patio are done, I will be doing a little bit of electrical work under the deck to restore what I had under the old deck (outlet under the grill for the grill's light). In the process, I want to add a light and a switch under the deck for the patio. Since I am planning around a future hot tub, I want to make sure that I take that into account in my current plans.

I don't have my plans finalized, but was re-reading section 680 of the NEC (Fairfax County, VA - still under NEC 2005) to try to figure out my design requirements. I want to have a light switch fairly close to the door from the house (for the new patio light). I am having a hard time getting it the required 5' from the water - I can get it about 4' but that extra foot puts it too far from the door to be convenient. Section 680.22(C) ends "Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted." Where would I find a switch that meets this requirement? I haven't found one online yet that says anything about the distance, so is a typical "wet location" switch sufficient? If it matters, I am planning to use PVC conduit and THWN wire for this install. Everything will be GFCI protected.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
    There are weatherproof switch plates that are actually covers with a built in lever switch that encloses the box (waterproof box) and allows you to switch it through the cover. Check out RACO type boxes and enclosures at any big box or Ace Hardware store.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 03:30 PM

Why not put it inside the house (by the door), that's where most people put switches to exterior lights.

Jan 20, 2011, 06:29 AM

Block is easily penetrated, either with a hammer drill or a 4lb sledge and a piece of 3/4" pipe. Sounds like you have stuccoed block walls and possibly plaster walls inside. Where in Fairfax county are you located?

Show us a picture.

Jan 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Block is easily penetrated, either with a hammer drill or a 4lb sledge and a piece of 3/4" pipe. Sounds like you have stuccoed block walls and possibly plaster walls inside. Where in Fairfax county are you located?

Show us a picture.
    Since I am at work right now, I don't have a picture, but it's a 1960 house in the Town of Vienna - Vienna Woods subdivision.

Jan 21, 2011, 07:13 AM

Please post picture of where the patio lights will be mounted.

Jan 21, 2011, 08:30 AM

Here's a picture of the deck. The future hot tub would go to the left of the door. The power would come down on the right side of the door (about 2' from the door) in conduit. I would like to have a "T" fitting there and come closer to the door for the weatherproof switch. The other part of the "T" would feed the light (haven't decided on exact placement but on the other side of the door for a table) and an outlet under where the grill will go.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2011, 07:21 PM
    If you put the switch outside you will need a weatherproof cover (switch cover). And that "T" you mention will be a weatherproof box with weather proof cover. Your circuit is already protected with a GFCI, all you need to do is provide protection for the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

KENMORE HOT WATER HEATER - pilot light won't light - replace ignitor switch? How long [ 0 Answers ]

KENMORE HOT WATER HEATER - pilot light won't light - replace ignitor switch? How long to do myself.. and level of difficulty?

1 hot to 2 hot - convert one switch to 2 switch to control fan and light. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a light fixure on the ceiling and want to replace that with a fan and light combo. I have a only one switch to control that but I want to replace that with 2 switches. I think I need to run another wire from switch to celing, is there another way this can be done?

What makes a light switch hot [ 9 Answers ]

I replaced a chandelier above my dining room table with 5 standard type A 100 watt bulbs. I'm concerned about two things. One, when I replace the light fixture, the new light had two black cords so I placed one on the black lead and one on the white lead is that what I should have done? Two, now...

Light switch hot then light went off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a standard ugly fluorescent overhead fixture in the kitchen. This morning the light just went off. I went to see if the bulb had burned out and the light switch itself was hot. What could cause this? I had not noticed the switch ever getting hot before. It wasn't really super hot but...

Hot light switch cover [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I was wandering if you could answer a question? Our light switch cover downstairs gets really hot. In fact the wall above the cover is warm too. I took the cover off and the wires smelt like warm plastic. We reacently purchased this home. It is 35 yrs old and in great condition other than...

View more questions Search