Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamingangei38 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 06:11 AM
    I am 43 years old, I just found out from my mother that my real father had a court order child support that he was supposed to be paying but did not, Evey time they would find him he would move away, this was in the 70's and 80's I turned 18 in 1983, my question is could I still sue him for support even though I'm 43 now and that there was a court order? He said he paid it but my mom said he's lying, where would I go to check this out? Or is it to late?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2007, 08:01 AM
    No sorry it is now too late. I don't believe there is any action you or your mother could take.

If he paid it though the courts, they would have a record, if he paid it directly to your mom no way to check it out.

So it is a matter that someone is lying, My ex told our kids I never sent anything, she even opened and repacked christmas gifts I sent and told them they were from here. Mine finally found out when I put some money and a note in a pants pocket she did not find, and they found the note and money.

But had they not found that note, but they had went 14 years thinking I never did anything.

So I can't tell you who to believe, since people use kids as weapons, turn them against the other all the time. So at 43, why not just get to know your dad and from that believe or not believe what you want.

25 years after the last payment was to be made, honestly it does not matter what happened back then, what matters is have your grown past it, and have you found out what each parent is like as a adult. And each parent should have grown way past blaming the other for anything by now.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 14, 2007, 08:26 AM
    As I remember right your mother is the only one with the standing to bring suit for child support owed as your then legal guardian. The court would have a record of payments if it was deducted but cash payments would be hard to trace.
    CHAYOTE23 Posts: 37, Reputation: 0

Jan 14, 2007, 10:41 AM
    dreamingangei38, interesting topic about Child Support, I would like to know the answer so please let me know if you get the correct answer.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 01:14 PM
    At age 43 I don't know whether any court would enforce past-due support dating back so long ago. If you were 23 that might be a different story. You can talk with an attorney for firsthand advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child Support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I need advice. My wife and I are separating and we are trying our best to make the process as smooth as possible. We have split joint bills evenly so we don't have to pay each other anything. She claims she doesn't want child support, but has a boyfriend going through a divorce that...

View more questions Search