Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bullshooter5 Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jan 14, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Pipe Hammering
    I have a loop of 3/4 and 1/2" copper pipe that makes a slight hammering sound while being used and sometimes when unused but perhaps the hot water heater fires up and pipes hammer. It is not a real loud hammer and it does not bother me but my only concern is, could this slight hammering cause any damage?

It's on the hot water side and this loop also has a gravity return so that hot water can circulate and get hot water to a distant end of the house sooner. And it works without a pump.

Bs5
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
    F you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. When the flame comes on it turns the water trapped under the mineral to steam and the steam escaping is what you hear. Let me show you how to flush your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. If thev problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out. Good luck, Tom
    bullshooter5 Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jan 14, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Thank you Speedball. Was I ever glad you told me about that. I just got done unhooking the hose from the boiler drain at the bottom of the water heater and over to the floor sump where I drained the flushed water. I blew out lots of calcium as this old well water is actually 120 grains of hardness to the gallon. I will be doing this on a regular basis now thanks to you. I hope that this quiets my pipes down for a while. Thanks again.

Bs5

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammering [ 1 Answers ]

I recently closed the supply lines to both my commodes for approximately two weeks to avert any water accident while I was away. Now every time they are flushed there is a loud machine gun like banging both at the area of the commodes and in the kitchen sink/dishwasher area. I open the fawcets in...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Air in kitchen sink line - occasional hammering [ 3 Answers ]

I am helping someone with this problem and have only had it described to me, along with a layout of the house. A one story, concrete slab house, five years old is experiencing the problem. Infrequently when the kitchen faucet is turned on there is air discharge and hammering from both the cold...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Hammering in pipes [ 2 Answers ]

In order to clear a sink drain clog in an upstairs bathroom this weekend, I needed to remove the shutoff valves to get clearance to remove the P trap. This entailed turning off valves in the basement for the lines that supplied the upstairs bathroom. Everything went back together again and, after...

View more questions Search