Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigily Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 04:38 PM
    I am dating a guy 13 years older than me with kid. How do I know if I am wrong?
    I, I am 29 years old women , actually I am kind of interested in mature guys and I am seeing a 42 years old guy, that has a 3 years old kid from his ex-gf. The kid is not living with him. He is really in love with me and he is very caring. So far I don't have problem with him and he has managed his kid and me very well. But what is bothering me is the fact that he has a kid and I don't have any. So I guess we are not in the same boat? Or if his kid is going to be a problem in my life in future?

Would love hear your advice. Thanks
    justjess19 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
    I think you should talk to him x
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 04:53 PM

I think the child will be a problem in your life with the father only if you allow it to be.

Are you planning on having children?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 05:11 PM

How long have you been dating? It mat be to early to tell what will be issues in a relationship.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 06:11 PM

I see all sorts of red flags in your short paragraph.

"not in the same boat"? So he has a child, are you in a contest, if you and he has one, he will have two to your one.

He will love this child the same as one you and he may have, so if you are already jealous, it is a large issue.

He will be talking and you will be seeing his ex sometimes, if this child has school events, music or sports, you may be there and she may be there also.

And of course red flag ONE, you called the child KID, not his child, or son but KID.

Jan 18, 2011, 08:00 AM

I have been seeing him only for few months. So far he has managed everything very well. He sees his daughter( NoT hIS kID) everyday for few hours. I am totally Ok with that and not jealous at all. I undrstand that he needs to spend time with his daughter and I have enough attention. I just don't know if I am in a right relationship or not. How can I know?
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 08:39 AM

Have you asked this man what he wants for the future. Does he want to get married, would that make you 2nd or 3rd marriage. Have you any ideas as to what happened to cause him to divorce with such young child involved? Have you ever discussed if he does want marriage in future does he want more children, he is at age were some people would not want anymore.

These are something's that you should be asking yourself. This relationship is going to built on what you both want out of it. His daughter will only enhance this relationship. If you really love him then how could you not love his little girl. If you show that little girl love and acceptance, then think about the love she will give you.

Good luck

Jan 18, 2011, 08:44 AM

Yea we talked already about this issue many times. He explained to me his reasons of breaking up with his ex-gf. And I accepted that. He wants to settle down again with me and have kids later. I know all these stuff. I just have no experience of such relationship. Sometimes I ask myself , am I making a mistake? Should I find someone in my age and settle down? But he loves me and I am kind of into him. Too much of tinking I guess.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 09:05 AM

Gigily,

My friends say that I am way to blunt, so please don't take this as being rude.

I really feel you should move on. You are only 29yrs and you obviously want children of your own. So why settle for this relationship, just because your kind of into him.

You obviously are having doubts about him. I really don't think your even concerned about his little girl at all, I think this man is a nice guy and you like but your just NOT that into him.

Move on. Don't miss the man that you can really have that special future with by trying to be the nice person here.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 10:09 AM

You will know in a year or so if you pay attention, whether you can deal with being an instant part time mommy, and if this fellow can manage his daughter, or his ex. After a few months, you only see the good parts he wants you to see. More will be revealed to you later, after the honeymoon is over and the real work begins. Only then will you know if this can work, or not.

Jan 18, 2011, 01:26 PM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    Yea, you are right. I am still in honeymoon. Just time can prove how wrong or right I am. Thanks

Jan 18, 2011, 01:26 PM
    Comment on answerme_tender's post
    I am kind of like and dislike your comment actually. I am really into him, but the fact that he has a kid is making me doubt.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 01:49 PM

Gigily,

You seem to have good head on your shoulders, I have no doubt that you will make the right decision for what is best for you.

Take care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 26 years divorce old lady with a kid of 7 years . But m in love with a guy who [ 9 Answers ]

I am 26 years divorce old lady with a kid of 7 years . But m in love with a guy who is married and that guy love me and but he love his wife a lot as well . I work for a BPO and I have a lot of mental stress of work, divorce case and my recent love . What should I do? I tried of not to be in...

Dating a guy with a kid? [ 5 Answers ]

I am not sure what to do, I've been dating my boyfriend for a year now. He told me from the start that he had a son. He had his son with an ex, they were never married. It does upset me that we won't be able to experience having a child for the first time together. The main problem is he travels...

Dating a guy 25 years older than me? [ 5 Answers ]

I met him on line and he is attractive and considerate. We have shared a lot of wonderful periods. We live in different cities (actually these two cities are quite far from each other) and he told me that he is going to visit me this weekend. However, yesterday, I happened to find out that he...

Dating a older guy [ 6 Answers ]

Well, I'm 14 and I'm dating a older guy. He's 18. And he's really sweet. And he loves me.I know he does.I can tell. Atfirst, I decided I couldn't date him because of the age difference, so I broke up with him. Many of his friends told me he wasn't doing so well. I would still keep in contact with...

Dating the older guy [ 3 Answers ]

I'm dating a guy that's 3 years older then me and I love him sooo much And he loves me! He's turning 19 in a couple months and ll still only be 15 or 16 years old... im scared oncce he starts going to bars... he'll dump me He's a great guy, and I've been datin him for 9 months now. We're...

View more questions Search