Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Jan 13, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Garage Door
    I am in NYS and want to insulate my garage door with 1.5" rigid insulation board. This is a signal door for a double garage. Will the added weight of the board require a change in the torsion spring (this door has one above not 1 on each rail. I am getting conflicted advice from people so I am going to the experts.

Thank you in advance for your help..
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Yes ,the springs will likely need to be adjusted , but it should be easy to do.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Could depend on the door. My old wood and 1/4'' hardboard door weighs a ton and I doubt the foam would make much difference. I would add the foam and try raising the door by hand. If it still works easily and balances at about 2/3 of the way up, leave well enough alone.

A lot of people have gotten hurt working on garage door springs, but I see no problem if you use your head. I agree it is easy. Are they torsion or the longitudinal? Post back if you want some help.
    weav Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pelle
    I am in NYS and want to insulate my garage door with 1.5" rigid insulation board. This is a signal door for a double garage. Will the added weight of the board require a change in the torsion spring (this door has one above not 1 on each rail. I am getting conflicted advice from people so i am going to the experts.

Thank you in advance for your help..
    What is the size of the door? If it is a 16' door , there should be 2 torsion bar springs attached to the header,if it is a single 9x7 door 1 spring is enough. Kellyw

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Door for furnace area [ 2 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and I want to know What kind of door do I need for around the furnace? I know I need fireproof sheetrock which I bought, but I don't know what kind of door do I need. I was told a wood door it's OK as long as it has ventilation(bifold door), Is this right? I'm confuse...

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage Door [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my garage door. It does not matter what remote I use or If I use the key pad. The door will stop opening 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the way from opening up. Light works, and if you hit the button again, the door does go back down. If I keep trying, it will eventually open all the...

View more questions Search