Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmoner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 09:50 PM
    1 breaker causing another breaker to trip when I reset! What is This about??
    I reset a breaker and it immediately trips its self and another breaker... this never happened before... if I reset 1 its OK but when I reset the other breaker they both trip... and these are 2 separate circuits... the 2 breakers are not even next to each other in the panel
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2011, 05:04 AM
    There may be a short circuit between the two circuits in a junction box or a receptacle box.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 09:32 AM

Depending on how old your home is you may have a split bus panel.

This type of panel will have circuit breakers at the top section that control the lower sections.

Jan 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Tkrussel this sounds logical but I don't understand how this would happen all of a sudden... I haven't done any work in the house that woul disturb any wiring... but I will try and follow the circuits to see if they meet in a j box thank you

Jan 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    Thank you for you reply house was built in 84
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 07:14 PM

Split bus panels had been outlawed by then or at the very least no longer in use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

The timer for my landscape floodlights is causing the circuit breaker to trip ? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I troubleshoot a problem with my landscape floodlights( not low voltage)? All of a sudden the timer is tripping the circuitbreaker when plugged in. Is this a bad timer or how do I determine if there is a short in the lights? Can the lights cause the timer to trip the circuit breaker? ...

Troubleshoot: Bathroom Fan causing breaker to trip [ 5 Answers ]

I have just installed a new Panasonic ventilating fan in our bathroom. Model #: FV-08VS1 When I turn on the fan, the breaker trips. Have checked the electrical connections and everything appears to be connected properly. There is no other load on this ciruit.

Circuit Breaker didn't Trip [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old home. The bathroom outlet is a GFCI outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 amp ARC FAULT BREAKER. Today my wife plugged her hair blowdryer and the base of the cord lit up like an arc welder. This lasted for 5-8 seconds before the cord completely melted and the fireworks...

Breaker doesn't trip [ 3 Answers ]

There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labeled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp...

View more questions Search