Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyjake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 05:32 PM
    Father dead or alive?
    I have sons 12 and 10. My husband and I were divorced in 2003. He has not paid any court ordered child support in as many years. He has not attempted to see the boys since then either. Not a birthday card, Xmas card or phone call. The boys don't even remember him. It has been estimated that he owes about $40,000 in back support. I have been remarried for 5 years to a man that HAS supported my sons. My ex has been involved with domestic violence (hence our divorce) drugs, theft, on and on. EXCEPT, we don't know what he has been up to OR where he has been in the last 6+ years. His own parents haven't heard from him in that long. We don't even know if he is dead or alive. QUESTION? Does he after so many years have ANY rights to my boys if he should show back up? Abandondment statutes, etc. We live in Indiana.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2011, 05:40 PM

Hello b:

He has whatever rights were granted to him in the divorce.. NOT taking advantage of them doesn't REMOVE them.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 05:50 PM

Yep, agree with Excon. He has not abandoned them if you have custody
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 06:35 PM

Yes, every right he had on the day he left is still there, You may do something's, if you wish.

You will of course have to do service by publication since he can not be served. So you optons is to go to court to restrict his visits ( he can of course file to get them back.

Or your new husband and you could file for him to adopt the kids if you both want that,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are The Dead Alive in Spirit or Sleeping until Jesus Christ comes ? [ 48 Answers ]

There are various Scriptures in the old testement that clearly states that the dead are asleep until the 2nd coming of Christ, And in the new testment it says something entirely different. In Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 9:6 it states clearly that the Dead are just asleep and that they have no more conscious...

Thinks father is dead finds out he is alive in alternate universe [ 2 Answers ]

On preview his fathers old friend gets a call to cell phone that came from his fathers old buisiness

Guy in hospital who is pronounced dead but is still alive but his girlfriends knows [ 1 Answers ]

Guy pronounced dead who is still alive an his girlfriend knows he still is and they're about to autopsy him even though he is still alive

Mom possum dead found babies alive? [ 3 Answers ]

My dog killed a Posum that thing was in our back yard the day before and I got the dog back inside so he would leave it alone. That night I went outside and kept hearing like four or five hissing noises I thought it may have been babiy possums but when I got a flashlight I could not see anything....

Zionism, dead or alive. [ 5 Answers ]

What is Zionism and how many Zionist are there?

View more questions Search