Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pandead Posts: 280, Reputation: 228

Jan 16, 2011, 09:24 AM
    Friend's parents asking to sign a loan for them
    Hello,
    My friend's parents are asking me to sign a loan for their house. They filed for bankruptcy before and they won't be able to keep their house if I don't. I read up a little bit and it's a tough decision as I don't have 150k in case they can't pay for it (they say they will.)

I don't know what to do, I really want to help but I just have a bad feeling about all this. Any advice?
    Important note : I currently don't own a bank account.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:32 AM

Run away, I would not have signed for my own kids.

You have no business signing for the parents of a friend,
    If your friend and their parents have that bad credit, and they can't work out a deal with the bank, sorry , let them lose the house.

Or why not you buy the house, and rent it to them with an option to buy,

But under no reason, sign for them.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:47 AM

Sounds like they clearly should not be home owners to begin with. Previous bankruptcy, previous mortgage and needing a co-signer all spell disaster. I agree with Chuck, don't sign. Tell us what's with the current mortgage.
    pandead Posts: 280, Reputation: 228

Jan 16, 2011, 10:10 AM

They said the house will be sold to the highest bidder next month (I don't know much about all this to be honest, but all I read online says it's a huge deal.)

I have an average salary and under no circumstance I can afford a mortgage. So basically I would own the house until they pay it off. I think I will say no but I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision, since it will make me feel horribly guilty to tell them and my friend will be disappointed...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pandead View Post
    So basically I would own the house until they pay it off. I think I will say no but I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision, since it will make me feel horribly guilty to tell them and my friend will be disappointed...
    Hello pan:

If they DON'T pay, which should be expected given their history, it'll be YOU who puts them out... And, after hearing how guilty you feel when somebody ELSE puts them on the street, you're certainly not going to put them out.

THAT'S why you shouldn't do this. You can't support TWO family's.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 10:25 AM

Sounds like they have defaulted on their original mortgage so they would likely do the same again. What is your friend, their kid, doing to help. This is not something for you to get involved with at all.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2011, 11:31 AM

My first impression was to say "Run like the wind" but Chuck covered that aspect.
    If you still feel some obligation to do it, at least talk to a good attorney first and do what he/she tells you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2011, 06:22 PM

If you just sign a loan, no you will not "own" the house, the loan and the deed are two different things.

Next again, if you have enough money and can get a loan yourself, let it go to auction and buy the house yourself, cheap, then you rent it to them or let them buy it from you on a contract. Then you own the home,

But either way you will have to make the payments if they don't, and your credit will be ruined also if you can't pay and they don't

I hate to see people lose their homes, but if they can't afford it now, how are they going to afford it when you sign for a loan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for friend's biological parents? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi In looking for my friend birth mom . U see she had died on dec 18/2009. Her name is ann-marie louise lampert . She ask me to find her . Before she died . So I have been work on it none stop .I need all the help I can get U see I can't let her down . I need to know I have done all I have done...

Parents names are on a home loan, is there anyway to add a child onto the loan? [ 1 Answers ]

Situation-Child wanted to buy a home, couldn't qualify, Parents put loan in their names--child is living in the home with their family 100% of the time making all payments; parents have other primary residence. Current Events-one parent has died, value of the home is now 1/2 what is owed on the...

My friend's crazy parents [ 6 Answers ]

My friends parents have never met her boyfriend and they have been together for over 6 month and they live together now. Her parents don't like him and told her that if she wants to be with him she has to chose. He is the best thing that has every happen to her. We all like him and other than her...

Parents will co sign loan but they are in the UK [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My parents have offered to cosign for my car loan the problem being is they are in England and I'm in the USA, can they still do that, or will it be a problem because they are in another country Tried getting a loan on my own its not that I have bad credit it's the fact I have NO credit,...

View more questions Search