Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mashpotatos Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
    14 year old dating an 18 year old?
    I am a 14 year old girl, I think I'm in love with my best friend who is 18, he really likes me too. Is it a good idea to start dating him? We wouldn't have sex because that's illegal but do you think it is still OK to date? Help Please, I think I'm in love with this man!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:20 AM

No at this age there is just not enough in common. Plus at 18 soon he will be thinking of sex, no matter what you are saying now.

Also have you talked about this with your parents, they would also have to approve.

Jan 16, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Ive talked to my parents they aren't happy about this but r letting me make my own decisions. Ive talked to him about the sex thing and he said he's willing to wait for me, this makes me love him even more.
    bryan112 Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jan 16, 2011, 09:57 AM
    I think love don't have a age. It's how old you feel yourself. If you think you love him, you can't help it. And why does the law say to you when you want to have sex. It's YOUR choice. The law don't have anything to say to this. If you want to be 14, it's OK. If you are ready.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:57 AM

Talking to your parents was a responsible thing to do, and they seem to have left it to you, and no doubt, if you do decide to date they may have some rules, and boundaries to follow.

But as a dad, I wouldn't allow my 14 year old to date an 18 year old. Just being honest.

Jan 16, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Comment on bryan112's post
    Thank you this what I needed to hear

Jan 16, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    Thank you for your honesty
    diobish Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2011, 08:17 AM
    Well my best friend is daiting a 18 guy and she is recently 15.. they have a good relationship but I got another friend with the same situation and her dad is not happy what she do is tell him to make some limits like being at the house at 9 or go out as a double date.. so talk to your dad and tell him to make limits..
    And the sex you would know when you are ready the law don't have to tell you when you are.. but maybe you should wait like 5 month of relationship so not all the relationship its sex

----GOOD LUCK----
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diobish View Post
    And the sex you would know when you are ready the law don't have to tell you when you are.. but maybe you should wait like 5 month of relationship so not all the relationship its sex

----GOOD LUCK----
    Honestly is this a joke?? The law has nothing to do with it?? It has everything to do with it. The MAN who is an ADULT can go to prison and be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life.

That doesn't sound like nothing to me at all.

Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Ive talked to my parents they aren't happy about this but r letting me make my own decisions. Ive talked to him about the sex thing and he said he's willing to wait for me, this makes me love him even more.
    Its good you talked to your parents about it. But I have to tell you that he has already broken the law by discussing sex with you. Your underage and if your parents find out he can be arrested and put away for it. You need to steer clear and just keep it a friendship till your 18.

Jan 18, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Its just me and my mom at home and she went though the same siuation when she was my age.But I think the 5 month thing is a good idea BTU I don't think I going to break the law

I wanted tp keep the friendship till I was old enough to be with him, but when I'm aroound him being friends just isn't enough. I know now that what I'm feeling is really love.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 10:00 AM

Look I have no doubt you are in love. But it's the young immature love of a 14 year old, intense feelings with good intentions, for a grown man, and that puts you into territory that requires the proper supervision, for when friends is not enough.

He is an adult, and in the adult world, when intense feelings are involved, that's when there are mistakes made, and consequences to pay.

Another thing to consider, while you are so in love. Do you think those intense feelings will last until you are old enough to be with him?

Will they last that long for him? How long will you stay friends until you can be together the way you want?

How do you know his feelings are as intense as yours? How do you know his feelings will last as long as you think yours will?

Intense feelings without a mature mind to control them is out of control. And I suspect your young immature love is blind, and asks none of the questions above, and can barely answer them.
    emilybeast Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2011, 04:36 PM
    This is a big decision.. but YOU make your own choices and whether it is good or bad you will learn something from that experience. Although, aren't you wondering why isn't he with someone his age? And he's like probably a senior in high school or a freshman in collage so either way... he's going to be meeting new people and it would be hard to see him. I am 14 as well and I think its great that you have the guts to confront your parents about it but I personally think its not the best choice.. but its your decision and do what you think is a more positive choice to what will happen. As in think will your friends care? Will this effect your life in a negative or positive way? Is it worth it? You decide.
    husky004 Posts: 63, Reputation: -6

Jan 26, 2011, 08:08 AM
    To be honest I think that would be fine in every way as long as you know the boundaries. I'm 16 and dating an 11 year old, hahaha not illegal cause I'm not 18. You'll be fine and I hope it works out for you if you do get into a relationship
    TIMELION420 Posts: 2, Reputation: -3

Oct 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
    Age is just a number. Only you know what your feeling and if it's genuine, then who gives a flying **** what anyone else has to say. WE ARE ON A GIANT ROCK FLOATING THROUGH SPACE!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMELION420 View Post
    Age is just a number. Only you know what your feeling and if it's genuine, then who gives a flying **** what anyone else has to say. WE ARE ON A GIANT ROCK FLOATING THROUGH SPACE!!!

Here's my problem - 18 years old, has posted he's in love with a 14 year old. I can never understand the relationship when it's a 4 year difference at those ages BUT I can see the OP's immaturity. He is more at a 14 year old level.

Still could/would go to jail, but this one I can figure out.

Also had to go back in time to find this thread to post this answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am 26 year old girl dating a 18 year old boy, is that wrong? [ 17 Answers ]

I am a 26 year old lady and I am considering dating an 18 year old guy. I just wanted to know what you all think. Is it wrong? He has no problem but his mom do. She thinks I will end up using her son and believe me that is not my intention. Any advice?

Texas what can happen to a 20 year old for dating a 16 year old if there is no sex ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm the brother of a girl dating a 20 year old but she is 16 and he is my friend but my father doesn't approve what will happen if he finds out ? This is Texas ? Also they are not having sex so someone answer because I'm tired of being stuck in the middle

Need help with a 16 year old daughter dating a 22 year old man [ 44 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter is dating a 22 year old man he lives next door and he is a bum he has no job and doesn't even leave his house only to sign on to get his benefits she was dating him when she was 15 and I thought I put a stop to it and as soon as she went 16 in April this year they got back...

View more questions Search