Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patidee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 07:00 AM
    External disk - how does it work
    I just copies all my files/photo's to a CLICKFREE external drive... what happens when I update or add to the originals or even delete them from my computer, which is really what I'd like to do to free up some badly needed space? I'm worried that I will end up messing up what I already stored. Please explain how it works. Thanks.
    jeje409 Posts: 84, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2011, 07:09 AM
    One should really be computer literate when doing something like this.As long as you know how to copy and paste things I don't seeing you messing it up.Just make sure that the external have enough space to hold everything you want to put on there.I have one but mine is inside my computer,and when I download things from the internet... I save them directly to the other hard drive.Always make sure you COPY what you want to transfer in case it all didn't save.Once you have everything you want on your external and sure of it you can delete them on the computer.Hope this helps!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2011, 07:18 AM

Clickfree drives are for automatic backups. About Clickfree Automatic Backup

Basically, as you add or change files, the files are backed up to the clickfree drive. If you lose a file, you can restore from the drive.

I don't believe clickfree drives are fully accessible external storage like other drives. But I'm not 100% sure of that.
    eylusion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 08:08 AM
    It appears that clickfree does not make duplicate files, so if you have say a text document on your computer and you back it up to your clickfree drive, it then exists in both places. If you update that text document on your computer and do another backup, the old text document on the clickfree drive will be erased and replaced with the "newer" modified text document. They probably do this so as to not fill up the drives contents with many "versions" or duplicates of individual files. Also you mentioned what would happen if you deleted files off your computer, it also appears that the clickfree drive will continue to maintain those backups that it previously made and not remove any files from the external drive, that would only occur in a synchronization scenario. If you want to learn more about "backups" in general. You can Google things like "archive bits", file creation and modified dates, and also reading about the differences between full, differential, incremental, etc backups at say a place like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_backup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird External Hard Disk [ 3 Answers ]

I have problem with my newly bought external hard disk. Yesterday, it was working fine. But today, when I'm connecting my external hard disk, it took some time to show in My Computer and it getting automatically disconnect and connecting every 5-10 seconds. Could someone tell me how to solve...

Two external USB hard disk does not work Simultaneously. [ 1 Answers ]

When I connect two external hard disks than the hard disk is connected later is not recognized by the computer.. And gives some error that hardware is not recognized... Earlier it used to work perfectly well but now there is problem with it...

Laptop won't boot from external hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I used Acronis 11 to clone the internal hd on my laptop to an external usb hd. I back up my desktop in this way and it works great. Internal drive breaks or gets zapped by a virus and I simply boot from the external. If I boot normally and connect the external drive via USB after windows...

External hard disk drive [ 4 Answers ]

Is there an external hard disk drive with an hdmi connection

External Disk Drive Assignment [ 2 Answers ]

I have an external hard drive that is labeled (F:). How do I change it to (E:)? I have an (E:), and how do I remove this, or switch it to (F:)?

View more questions Search