Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MicaaOx Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 06:44 AM
    I need a hobby.
    Heey, right I'm 14, girl and I need something to keep me from being bored, because when I'm bored I always just go on Facebook and I don't want to do that anymore, I'm just waste'ng my time on it. I've tried swimming,painting,cleaning,running and they haven't been for me.

I think I'm sort of arty but I always get bored and then just give up.
    I need something to do which gets me thinking, keeps me involved and away from Facebook.

I'm not very outdoory if you get me, I mean I would go outside but I would rather stay inside and I actually love trying new things that I haven't done it before and I'm always willing to do new things but I just need help to decide* what need hobby I can have.

- Micaa xx
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 06:58 AM

When you say outdoors I think camping etc. But maybe as a hobby that is outdoors and inside would be astronomy. You can start with the naked eye. Binoculars, then telescope etc. Tons of things to look at on the net. You would be amazed at how much is out there that you can see. Looking at the moon through magnification (with a filter) is just amazing and can take your breath away. Just ordinary binoculars you can see nebulea and planets and such. Every time you go out you test your own skills. Plus you never know where it can lead. So maybe when you have time have a look. See if you like it.
    MicaaOx Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    So, your saying, try space and camping? Thanks that's helped, I like space, it keeps me thinking (: xx
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:29 AM

Im not saying to try camping. Im saying you don't have to go any further then your backyard to enjoy astonomy.

I talked about camping only because when mentioning the outdoors many people think of that first.

Here is your first astonomy hint. When looking at the sky. Stars twinkle just like the song says. But planets do not. That is because planets do not generate their own light. We only see what is reflected from our own sun.

Have a great time!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:59 AM

What do you like to do ? From music, learn to play something, have you considered martial arts, what about reading ( I think they still make books)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 08:07 AM

Consider painting, sculpture, music, pottery, making jewelry, flower arranging, interior decorating, woodworking (yes woodworking, particularly wood turning). You don't have to have a burning desire, just an interest or think you would like to learn something about it. Most likely your fist choice will only be a way of learning about yourself and what you do enjoy. Try anything you think you might enjoy. It will most assuredly lead to something else.
    jeje409 Posts: 84, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
    You can read,search online for different recipes and make them,you can also play "thinking" games online(my favorite is Trivia Machine).Do you have any friends you can hang out with? There's models you can build or other crafts.. what about making cool looking jewelry?There's all sorts of things you can do :)
    chloe_r Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
    How about writing poetry? I loved doing that when I was your age. You get to express yourself and you also get a result, something you can be proud of. That is, of course, if you are sensitive and are into writing...
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Mar 7, 2011, 06:36 PM
    Have you heard of, or do you know anything about Tai-Chi-Chuan ? There are alternate spellings since this is a foreign (Chinese) word. Tai-Qi-Quan, Tai-Chi, Tai-Ji, etc. They all refer to the same thing, pretty much. It can be considered a 'martial art.' But it does not have to be learned that way at all. The great thing is that you can do it almost anywhere, indoors or out. And you don't need any special equipment at all. Just loose fitting clothes are best. When done for health and personal development the movements should be slow and steady. It is a great way to unwind if you've been sitting at a computer for hours.

Beginners have the task of learning the postures, and then putting them together in sequence. Kind of like a very slow ballet. And you don't need to do it with a goup of people either. You can practice alone if you like. There are several ways of learning the basics. Probably the most common is to find a local school and take lessons. But that is not absolutely essential. One can also find great videos to follow free on YouTube. Just enter Tai Chi, Tai Chi Chuan, or Tai Chi form practice. You'll find quite a variety of offerings. Don't go and immediately buy the DVDs they offer. I would first sample what there is to see and to learn. A sister art of Tai-Chi is called Chi-Gung or Qi-Gong. The movements are similar to Tai-Chi but with much less complicated footwork. That might be a way to test the waters, so to speak. Videos of Chi-Gung are also vailable free on YouTube.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    Have you heard of, or do you know anything about Tai-Chi-Chuan ? There are alternate spellings since this is a foreign (Chinese) word. Tai-Qi-Quan, Tai-Chi, Tai-Ji, etc. They all refer to the same thing, pretty much. It can be considered a 'martial art.' But it does not have to be learned that way at all. The great thing is that you can do it almost anywhere, indoors or out. And you don't need any special equipment at all. Just loose fitting clothes are best. When done for health and personal development the movements should be slow and steady. It is a great way to unwind if you've been sitting at a computer for hours.

Beginners have the task of learning the postures, and then putting them together in sequence. Kind of like a very slow ballet. And you don't need to do it with a goup of people either. You can practice alone if you like. There are several ways of learning the basics. Probably the most common is to find a local school and take lessons. But that is not absolutely essential. One can also find great videos to follow free on YouTube. Just enter Tai Chi, Tai Chi Chuan, or Tai Chi form practice. You'll find quite a variety of offerings. Don't go and immediately buy the DVDs they offer. I would first sample what there is to see and to learn. A sister art of Tai-Chi is called Chi-Gung or Qi-Gong. The movements are similar to Tai-Chi but with much less complicated footwork. That might be a way to test the waters, so to speak. Videos of Chi-Gung are also vailable free on YouTube.
    Most of the martial arts started as dance. And its from the fuild movement of the body that allowed extenstion into the forms we see today. That is the most basic of basics. In china in many squares young and old practice it out in the open and keep very healthy doing so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a Hobby [ 8 Answers ]

How can I find a hoby that suits me, Iam 64 years old ex Financial Manager in a multinational Svs. co. have never had a manual hobby, this what I am looking for, I am living in Egypt. May I hope of a reply, not expensive hobby as I am retired. ...

In need of a hobby [ 5 Answers ]

I need a hobby. My dad won't let me watch television until I get a hobby.:(

In need of a hobby, [ 8 Answers ]

OK so I'm seventeen, I have nothing to do when I get off work and when I'm not at school. I would really like to do something, I am really tired of being at home, all I do is think. I get depressed so a hobby would really help me. Help?

My Hobby. [ 6 Answers ]

I don't have too many hobbies I guess. Music over-all is one. Another is hanging out with my friends and doing stupid things (yes, a hobby). But the one hobby I love the very most is helping people with their problems/issues. My friends say it's a great thing of me to do and they respect me for it...

About my hobby [ 4 Answers ]

Am trying to find a hobby. I have never really had any hobbies in my adult life and I am now trying to find one. I don't know how to even start. I am looking for any help on how to find something that interests me.

View more questions Search