Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aabdallah3 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
    Money with sketching?
    I'm a high school student and I'm good at sketching or making my own designs like heart designs or something, and I'm looking for being something that has to do with sketching when I hopefully go to college
    But I need some help, I want to know if I could make a living out of this or not, *** help
    Here are some of my sketches
    Attached Images

CKoth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
    YOu could probably do anything you want, just if you do choose to go to school for art, try to be more widened with you talent, practice drawing different things in different medias and then it will be easier to show people you can do more then just sketch anime. Plus if you keep practicing your proportions you pictures will get better, I still think you have much to improve but you don't lack talent, you just to build on it more and train yourself more.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 10:22 PM

You're a very good artist.

No, you won't be able to make a living with your art unless you connect with a publisher that needs an artist and you fit the requirements. That's highly unlikely, since good artists are a dime a dozen.

Two cases in point -- my younger son is a gifted artist who minored in studio art but has never made a penny with his art, but then, he hasn't tried to do so very much. A young coworker is a gifted artist who attended Chicago's Art Institute and later created a video game for which he did the art. It's selling rather well thanks to connections he made at video game fairs and shows.

So it depends on your effort and connections and pure luck.

My suggestion is go to college and do a double major in studio art and a business emphasis of some sort. That way, you will have a career option in business, with the art interest to develop as you go along. The major in art will give you added credentials.

(Are you in the Chicago area? A young lady drew almost the same horse sketch for me several years ago.)

Jan 16, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Yes I am in chicago area... and I don't only draw anime... I draw more stuff these were just some examples,and it sadens me that I can't make a living, cause I see paintings thtt people do and there worth like $2,000 dollars and some $950... thts a lot for some painting that makes no sense
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aabdallah3 View Post
    yes i am in chicago area.....and i dont only draw anime...i draw more stuff these were just some examples,and it sadens me tht i can't make a living, cause i see paintings thtt people do and there worth like $2,000 dollars and some $950....thts alot for some painting tht makes no sence
    Sometimes it can be a certain new style, like anime, that catches everyone's eye. Early anime artists made lots of money; now anime art is very common. Like I had said, if you are in the right place at the right time, there is money to be made. That's why polishing your art skills in college or at an art institute is a good thing. You make those connections that will help your career. For instance, my son's college English professor and advisor is now a bestselling author with six or seven books under his belt. (His first book came out when my son was graduating.) My son is also a writer and could easily contact this man for a recommendation.

Enter art contests. There's a book at your library (or through interlibrary loan) about artist's markets with a chapter on all sorts of art contests. Or maybe your village or an organization needs art work done for a pamphlet or newsletter or special book they are putting together or for their web site. Put your feelers out all over the place with your art.

Even though I worked in a library, in my spare time I wrote three books about Texas at the request of a friend who started his own publishing company. One of my coworkers was an artist, so her art was used in the three books. She and I made some nice money that way.

(Are you Chinese, and was your mother a library volunteer a few years ago?)

Jan 16, 2011, 08:29 PM
    No lol I'm not chinese, I'm arab.. I just came from over seas this summer to finish high school here
    And can you help me out?. gimme places to improve my art or any places to seek what art inttrests people these days... I also want to learn how to paint because I'm sure it makes art much more valuable, if you have a fb or something that I can keep in touch with u, that would be helpful, because I'm really looking forward for an art career.. its something I'm good at and that helps in finding what I want to be
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aabdallah3 View Post
    gimme places to improve my art or any places to seek what art inttrests people these days
    Have you finished high school? Will you be attending college?
    I also want to learn how to paint because I'm sure it makes art much more valuable
    My artist son says the same thing, yet he loves to draw with pencil or chalk or ink and do line drawings or sketches.

Taking studio art at a community college or a university will give you the chance to work with different media and try out a variety of techniques. You might even move into photography -- or web design like my son did.
    if you have a fb or something that I can keep in touch with u
    One of the rules on this site is to keep the communication in this thread, and not go off onto another site or into email. Plus, that will give you the advantage of getting feedback here from other people who know more about this than I do. :)

Jan 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Okk lol sorry about the Facebook thing, and yes hopefully I'm attending to go to college, I'm curently finishing up my high school senior year
    And that's what I was thinking of being in college, either graphic designer or interiol design
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:30 PM

My artist coworker discovered that people like to buy and frame drawn pictures of their house (from the front), so that's what she does to earn extra money. She does use colors, of course, so this might be something you want to try for fun and for a little money.

People also like sketches of family members -- Grandpa and Grandma, a new baby, etc. -- which can be done from photos (so you don't have to be with the person you're drawing and make them sit still). You can even do this long distance via email and attached photos.

There are many ways to make money from art, so I hope others will chime in with ideas.

Jan 16, 2011, 09:42 PM
    See my problem is I don't know how to draw humans... its just to hard for me, I'm not that good yet
    Thts why I want to go to some art school or something
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:59 PM

Try drawing what you don't think you know how to draw. Take some of your family's photos and practice on them. Draw the front of your house or a store at the mall. You might be surprised at what comes out of your pencil.

Jan 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Thank you I will
    And may I say you have a wonderful way of putting ones spirit up, bravo lol
    And if anything comes up you will deff know about it
    Ty again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sketching in charcoal and paint, please help identify artist [ 0 Answers ]

A beautiful portrait of I believe Jesus that is signed W.G. "83" on it and help in identifying the artist would be appreciated. Thanks

Curve Sketching & Optimization [ 7 Answers ]

f(x)=ln²x/x Find local maxima & minima and then find all inflection points. Find asymptotes(vertical or horizontal) after stating the domain of the given function

Sketching a graph of a quadratic function [ 2 Answers ]

I need to see a graph sketched with a vertex of (1,-6) and an axis of symmetry of x=1. :eek:

Curve sketching: 2nd derivatives test [ 3 Answers ]

Gud day! :) I just want to know what is the correct answer in this problem: Equation: y = 1/3 x^3 - 1/2 x^2 - 2x the point of inflection that I got is (1/2 , -3/4) but according to the book its (1/2, -13/12). How do they get that? thanks! :)

Sketching Parabolas Subject [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: What would be the easiest way of finding the x and y intercepts of the following equation? y = 2x^2 -17x -9 Thanks. :D

View more questions Search