Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcvc1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Funeral Expenses from 8 years ago to be repaid. Interest?
    We paid funeral expenses on my husband's uncle in April of 2003. Just was informed by an attorney's office that the estate had $17,000 in it. Our funeral bill was $7272. Should the law firm reimburse us the amount with interest or just the amount?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 08:04 PM

First you should not have paid it, you should have checked with the estate about the money, or had the person who handled the estate.

So what happened to the 17,000 if it was paid out to the heirs the money is long gone. When the estate was being settled, they ask for claims then.

The law firm does not owe you anything, the estate would , if it was still open? Is it ?

There are rules on handling the estate, as to notification

Why did you pay the funeral bill without talking to the other family, and/ or next of kin
    jcvc1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    We were told there was no estate and there was only one other family member who was indigent. Now 8 yrs later we are contacted by an attorney notifying there is $17,000 and we can be reimbursed. Should they also reimburse us interest?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 08:06 AM

No, only the amount of the actual debt. But I would also want to get an accounting of all of the money, from day one, did the attorney get fees for all these years, why did they first find the money?

And also you are a jerk, using a negative rating when we are trying to help, that is a good way to never get an expert to help you.

We start by asking you to give more info,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 11:02 AM

Insulting the very people who have the info you need is not terribly smart.

I would question the how/why it took so long to get in touch with you and also look carefully at this Attorney. Are you certain that he/she represents the Estate or is there something else going on?

You MAY be entitled to repayment. You are not entitled to interest - unless you had an agreement that if/when funds appeared you would be paid interest.

The other heirs could very well argue that you paid the expenses out of the goodness of your heart and are not entitled to reimbursement. Did other relatives agree with these expenditures?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Funeral and burial expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away on October 2006. He was 77yo and on SSI, so I was left with the funeral and burial expenses. Are these expenses Tax Detuctible for my 2006 return? Thanks

Can funeral expenses come from estate if paid by life insurance policy [ 1 Answers ]

If an Insurance policy paid for the funeral. Does the person who is the beneificary of the policy get there funeral expenses back from the estate?

Is there any help for funeral expenses when a young family has a death and no life in [ 3 Answers ]

My nephew is 26 and has terminal cancer.He is married and the father of three small children.They have no life insurance.Are there any programs or organizations that can help.Time is a real issue here.Thanks

Made a loan for funeral expenses, now can't get repaid [ 1 Answers ]

My brother passed away 2 months ago and his son didn't have enough money to pay for his funeral. My husband and I offered to loan him the money needed so they could go ahead with the service. We actually borrowed from a friend and then loaned him $1,600 and $600 was repaid the day of the funeral....

View more questions Search