Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rottenrichard00 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
    #8 wire at 50feet
    I have 50 feet of #8 copper cable what is the max breaker and amps can I pull through this wire
    rottenrichard00 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 05:01 PM

I have 50 feet of #8 copper cable what is the max breaker and amps can I pull through this wire
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 08:35 PM

You are leaving a great deal of information out. For example, what is the connection you are trying to make? Is this an 8/2 or an 8/3 cable?

Depending on the type (insulation) and connection listed temperatures the max at a 60(C) would be 40 amps. If you are using a cabled listed for 75(C) in a circuit with components also listed at 75(C) then the max is 50 amps.

The third choice would be a 90(C) would not normally be found in residential wiring because there are very few listed 90(C) devices. Most would have to be special ordered, which would drive the cost higher.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2011, 08:44 PM
    We can't really answer this unless you supply the wire type. Different wire specs have different ampacity ratings. Also the voltage of the circuit affects the answer. You need to tell us voltage, type of wire (thhn, rhw, uf... etc) for the most accurate response.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

Depending on the type (insulation) and connection listed temperatures the max at a 60(C) would be 40 amps. If you are using a cabled listed for 75(C) in a circuit with components also listed at 75(C) then the max is 50 amps.
    I agree that this cannot be answers accurately without more detail.
    The above quote is basically correct.

NM or SER cable must use the 60 deg C column in figuring amperage, so #8CU would be rated for a 40A circuit.

#8CU conductors in conduit would use the 75 deg C column since regardless of the fact that wire is rated for 90 deg C there are very few if any 90 deg C terminations and circuit breakers rated for 90 deg. MC cable also fits this description.
    This would allow #8CU on a 50A circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

View more questions Search