Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
    Unknown interior wall system
    I encountered an amazing interior wall system while cutting into a kitchen wall (backed to the bathroom). A wet wall 6" studs. House 60-70 yr old. Obviously original construction.

The interior surace is 3/4" thick but composed of two layers. The inner-most layer is a lighter grey, the outer-most a darker grey (concrete color). These two layers are clearly laminated together (not one installed over the other).

Broke a hole with a hammer, and using a new demo-blade in a reciprocating heavy duty saw started to cut straight down. Stripped the blade in six inches. Thinking I had a bad blade tried again. Six inches and the teeth were leveled. Broke the rest out with hammer but kept a section to analyze.

The innermost section is light grey (similar to drywall, ), there are dark specks in the material of both but more in the darker grey. There are highly reflective specks, like glass bits, embedded in both but most in the darker concrete looking layer.

I have never seen anything that will destroy blades like that. Never seen a 3/4" laminated wall.

Job done but need some advice here.

What is this material(s)?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
    Many thanks to you for your answers here.

I wonder if it could be glass fiber reinforced concrete panels, GFRC, used for exteriors. I think it is often sandwiched too. The glass is lighter than the concrete and metal (rustable) reinforcing isn't needed. One company that makes them is Stromberg.

Concrete with glass chips has some popularity now as kitchen counter material.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2011, 03:19 PM
    Are you sure it's not plaster? Brown coat scratch coat with wire mesh? That will ruin a blade quickly.

PS Join in with joypulv for your help on the panels!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2011, 04:16 PM

It's definitely not plaster. It's 2 distinct layers bonded by some type adhesive, and each is more dense than plaster. I've torn in to walls in many old houses and have never seen anything like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I eliminate ants in bathroom interior wall. [ 3 Answers ]

Ants seem to be coming into bathroom from back of light fixture which is 10 feet from an exterior wall. How do I get rid of them?

Interior wall removal [ 15 Answers ]

OK guys I have removed the drywall and studs from the interior wall and what I thought was a framed soffit turns out to be 2 2x12's with plywood between them. The beam goes all the way across the living room width just like the center beam of my cathedral ceiling. I have pictures looking up the air...

What material can I use on an interior basement wall? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 50+ home, and half of a finished basement. The foundation was poured using floor board back then, so there's horizontal lines in the walls. (During the depression I am told) Some aren't too bad, some are very noticeable. To save money we originally sponged painted over them to hide the...

Interior shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished insulating an interior shower wall and will start cutting the hardi backerboard to go over it. Do I have to put up a vapor barrier or can I just red guard it before installing the 12x12 porcelain tiles? Also is Versabond fortified thinset mortar the correct mortar to use? I will be...

Removing an interior wall [ 3 Answers ]

I am Renovating my kitchen and am removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room. The roof is constructed with W trusses that span the entire house. The wall rests beneath the middle of the trusses, but only halfway along from an exterior wall. After searching on-line for a while I have...

View more questions Search