Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WannaBePlummah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
    How do I disconnect dom. Hot water from boiler in order to connect a tankless heater?
    Here's my situation. I have an American Standard 'Arcoliner' boiler with the original 'Arcoflame' burner that came with the house that we bought a few years ago. The boiler is original to the house and still runs at about 85% efficiency. The house is heated by hot water baseboard (one zone) off one side of the boiler and our domestic hot water runs directly off the boiler with no tank. So the boiler has to run all the time in order to keep the water hot for the domestic. So, to conserve oil, we've resorted to turning the boiler off whenever we don't need the hot water, turning it on about 15 minutes before we need it again (showers, laundry, etc). I'm sure this isn't the best thing to be doing for our boiler so we'd like to buy an electric or gas tankless hw heater and bypass the domestic hw side of the boiler. How do I cap off the domestic side of the boiler without causing damage to it? Do I have to loop the cold input to the hot output, thereby just closing the loop closer to the boiler? Or does there still need to be a cold water input for the heater part of the boiler? Connecting the new tankless will be relatively easy. I just don't want to cause any damage to the existing boiler since it's still in really good shape. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless hot water heater connections. [ 2 Answers ]

I may have made a mistake. I just bought a tankless hot water heater with 1/2 inch water connection fittings. My house used 3/4 inch water pipes. Is it OK to reduce from 3/4 to 1/2 inch copper pipe and connect to the hot water heater and then as the water leaves the heater to go back from 1/2 to...

Tankless hot water heater [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need copper pipes in my house to install a tankless hot water heater?

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Tankless Hot Water Heater [ 11 Answers ]

I'm considering building a house and have recently seen the tankless hot water heaters at Lowe's and such. Can anyone comment on personal experience on these and/or if they are worth the investment over your normal hot water tanks? Thanks...

Tankless hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

Is a tankless hot water heater a good deal? We have a 4 bedroom house currently 2 people living in it. Our hot water heater is 16 years old and needs replaced we Are considering going with a tankless heater which is more Expensive but were not sure if would be a good deal or not.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.