Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Admiral Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
    One handle shower valve
    I have a Kohler one handle shower valve that does not permit me to get hot enough water. Water heat is OK and hot water is available in other bathrooms. How do I change the valve to get hotter water. Admiral
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Turn the water off and open up the valve. Check and clean the inlet ports on the cartridge. Now, turn on the hot water supply to flush it out. You should have a strong stream of hot water coming out of the open valve. If not then click on back. Regards, Tom
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
    I have a similar kholer valve. I noticed when I installed it there was a hot water temperature adjust pin! I'll go snap a picture of it right now cause I got it exposed... hold on.

Jan 13, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Don't mind the shower.. I just finished the plumbing (thanks speedball for advice) and am waterproofing it now before tiling.

I just had an idea. If you have a sink in the same room and you run that tap HOT does the water get hotter than your shower? If not, then you are losing too much heat and you need to insulate your pipes, or crank up the water temperature at the tank. If your sink is hotter than your shower, maybe this next bit will help.

You'll see in the picture there is a red band around the temperature control valve (the handle and chrome metal plate have been removed). That red plastic ring has a threaded bolt that you can screw in and out. Basically it just stops your valve from reaching FULL HOT position thus allowing you a means of fine tuning your temperature.

Good luck!
    Knucklez

Jan 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
    By the way, if you make this adjustment, don't forget to silicon seal your chrome plate after you put it back together. You don't want water getting in behind there. Use the special "kitchen & bath" 100% silicon because it is mold resistant.

Knucklez

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water dripping from angle shut-off valve handle [ 3 Answers ]

I have limited plumbing knowledge so pardon the question if foolish. I have a leak under a bathroom sink that has double shut-off valves (h&c). On the hot side the leak seems to be a drip from the shut-off valve handle. The shut-off valves attach to grey plastic supply lines and are secured by what...

Shower handle replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing my whole shower. There is a shower head and a handle. I've removed the handle and note a round copper stem with a flat bottom, sticking out from the center of the hot/cold connector. It is about 1/4" diameter. Is this a standard set up? Will any replacement valve fit on it or are...

Replacing old single shower handle [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a house and the wife wants the handle replaced. I am not sure of the correct name of this type or style, it's obviously a single handle and it has a lever underneath that goes left or right to switch from shower to bath facet. I'm very handy and was just curious if this is...

Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

The single handle shower control knob needs to be turned slightly on to prevent dripping at the faucet when turned off. I also can't seem to get the water hot enough for my shower. Am I just catching the water heater at a "down" cycle or is something deteriorating in the handle mechanism?

Leaking Outdoor Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a summer house that we close in the winter. Every year I drain the pipes, take apart all the faucets, and put antifreeze down the drains. This year everything went well except for the outdoor shower. I connected all the pipes and turned the system on and the showers faucet handle began to...

View more questions Search